PDA

View Full Version : Nobody calls me " Fluffy " !

PhilCook
06-04-2012, 07:37 AM
Now Kangaroos are a dime a dozen in my part of the world, and they are ever so cute and cuddly.....mostly ....with the exception of the big males :eek3: Most Australian animals tend to be shy and mostly nocturnal, but the "Roos " can often be seen in daylight in all kinds of terrain, depending on type.

A rather long shot and heavy crop of a full grown male Red Kangaroo and his rather diminutive missus { Doe } he would of stood over 7 feet tall/2.1 metres. Taken in inland New South Wales at a region known as Menindee lakes while searching for Orange Chats. Not a great shot in many respects but I think it does show the rather formidable front claws and muscular biceps of the big " Reds ", not the sort of soft cuddly creature one would wish to embrace...and live to tell the tale :e3

Canon 7D + 500 L f4 + 1.4 X TC.....700mm , 1/1250, f5.6, ISO 500, - 0..33EV, pattern metering, hand held shot in mid morning light.

{ Apologies for no preview thumbnail showing, haven't paid my membership yet seeing as PayPal is giving me the run around with my account ??? }

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/3255/bigredrooanddoefrommeni.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/33/bigredrooanddoefrommeni.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

dankearl
06-04-2012, 10:31 PM
Very nice, great subjects for these North American eyes.
Nice FG, and nice bokeh BG.
The females ears looked blurred from NR on the BG.
Minor nitpick.
Very attractive Kangaroos.

Steve Canuel
06-05-2012, 12:17 AM
Welcome, and what an imposing fellow you've posted. Is he "pumped up" for the rut (if that's what it's called for 'roos?) or are they always this big? Like the view of the male and female together along with the mottled look of the BG.

PhilCook
06-05-2012, 01:55 AM
Thankyou, the big males are always rather muscular and it's generally noticeable when one looks close enough...or crops hard enough

Ken Watkins
06-05-2012, 05:51 AM
Hi Phil,

Firstly can I recommend posting directly to this site, as I am sure the image will be of a higher quality.

He certainly looks like he has been on the Charles Atlas course:w3

Roman Kurywczak
06-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Hey Phil,
I like the scale difference shown here. Environs look good too and the direct posting will probably improve the issues mentioned above. Nice to see some new wildlife!

Steve Kaluski
06-10-2012, 07:12 AM
Hi Phil, I really like the shot because of the the two giving a comparison & scale. The crop works well, although you could lose a fraction off the LHS. Looks a tad warm in the reds and perhaps a 0 EV may have helped. A fraction more sharpening on the Roos, and if you have it, a little more space below.

If the file is correct and complies to the Guidelines then there should be no IQ (image quality) loss if you use an external host, but once you have your account sorted then there would be no need for a host and you can upload directly. Trust this has been resolved now.

TFS
Steve