PDA

View Full Version : EYE GIVE A HOOT

Marina Scarr
06-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Since BPN members gave me such good feedback on cropping my last Skimmer image, I became inspired and played with this close up Burrowing Owlet. I photographed him with my 2x TC with the intention of doing a tight crop. However, had it not been for your recent advice, I have a feeling I would have been flailing in the wind. So "Thank you all!" I hope this one meets with your approval. This is about 60% of the original. Only a little sharpening was done. I personally feel as though it's sharp where it needs to be.

Canon 1D3, Canon 500L & 2x TC
F8, 1/400sec, ISO 800, manual mode
Feisol tripod, Jobu head

C & C always welcomed & appreciated.

Marina Scarr
www.marinascarrphotography.com (http://www.marinascarrphotography.com)

PhilCook
06-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Firstly I'd like to make mention that I am envious of any Owl shot, I see very few sadly. Love the fine detail in the small feathers around the gaping mouth and of course that big big eye....perhaps a tad more dof would be nicer....but I'm just jealous

Grace Scalzo
06-03-2012, 06:57 PM
Marina, Such excellent detail about the eye. Really fine technique to get this. Composition is really quite personal...my suggestion would be to trim a bit more off the top to get the eye higher in the frame. And then you'd probably want to balance that with a bit off the right (as viewed). Just a thought.

Tony Whitehead
06-03-2012, 10:10 PM
Lovely textures and colours, Marina. Focus looks good but to my eye could stand a little more selective sharpening for web presentation.

Ofer Levy
06-04-2012, 06:59 AM
Hi Marina, I feel this is an "almost" shot as the lack of dof really hurts it IMHO. It is always better to stop a bit more when using a converter - especially the x2 so f10 or even f11 could have been better.

Stu Bowie
06-04-2012, 09:20 AM
Hi Marina, clever title, and a good close up with an angled pose. I do like Grace's suggestion of moving the eye more towards the ULC.

Daniel Cadieux
06-04-2012, 11:18 AM
The crop works marvelloulsy well as is for me!! I'm usually OK with DOF as long as the eye is sharp...except for tight portrait where I prefer more. Here I would have loved for the lower mandible and chin to be within DOF. Still a highly effective image, one that I will keep in mid if ever I run into a cooperative owl again!!

Cheryl Arena Molennor
06-04-2012, 04:23 PM
I like it. The dof isn't there but i feel it really brings attention to the eye. I would have liked maybe a tad more on the beak but I like it as posted. I am glad to see you going for something different.