PDA

View Full Version : Intimate View of High Falls

Andrew McLachlan
06-02-2012, 09:56 PM
I finally was able to get out and shoot some new landscape images last Friday before some heavy rain arrived forcing me to pack up and head for home. A few years ago the town of Bracebridge, Ontario began diverting flow from High Falls on the Muskoka River for hydro-electric power and with our recent, lengthy dry spell the flows were even more diminished. The diminished flow does expose some unseen opportunities where water once flowed. Here is one of the photo from the day.

Look forward to comments.

Nikon D200
Nikon 12-24mm lens @ 12mm
ISO 100
f16 @ 4 seconds
mirror-lock
Nikon polarizing filter

Judy Howle
06-03-2012, 08:40 PM
That is a very interesting rockscape, if that's a word :bg3: I love the texture and detail in the rocks and perfect exposure on the waterfall. I find myself wanting to see a bit more of the rocks at the top although the comp is fine as-is.

Roman Kurywczak
06-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Hey Andrew,
Great details and textures. I do think I would prefer this as a vert though as the empty space ont eh left takes up a bit too much of the frame for my tastes.

Morkel Erasmus
06-07-2012, 04:27 PM
nice view and interesting perspective here Andrew
I'm with Roman on this one :w3
Texture, detail and sharpening look great!

Robert Amoruso
06-08-2012, 11:57 AM
Andrew,

I would crop this just right of the top of the "V" at the top left side of the frame. ROT crop with the waterfall in the vertical left third strengthens the image greatly.

Rachel Hollander
06-10-2012, 08:13 AM
Hi Andrew - great detail and unusual perspective. I agree with the crop suggestions above.

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew McLachlan
06-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Thanks folks for the comments, much appreciated. I'll a play around with verticals next visit. I didn't really care much for the vertical orientation on this outing.

Andrew Aveley
06-24-2012, 10:22 AM
Mate , really well scene and captured..as you know I am a little 'obsesed' with portrait compositions of late and think here you could have tried either. The lines and angles here really strengthen this one ! Great work !