PDA

View Full Version : Cades Cove Sunrise Through the Trees

Judy Howle
06-02-2012, 05:31 PM
From our recent 8 day trip to the Smoky Mountains. I used Nik Color Efex 4 Tonal Contrast on the image with the foreground bottom edge masked to keep the highlights in the weeds from showing up so they would be less obvious.

Canon 7D, 17 - 55 f2.8, 1/400 sec; f/8; ISO 200

Andrew McLachlan
06-03-2012, 07:47 PM
Hi Judy, nice capture. I quite like the sun coming through the trees. If it were mine I might evict the tall stem from an old weed that is just right of center. Overall I wonder if the image needs to be just a touch darker. Nice work :S3:

Judy Howle
06-03-2012, 08:30 PM
Hi, Andrew! Thanks for the comment and suggestion about the weed. It doesn't look like it needs to be darker on my monitor but I'm willing to try and see how it looks. I printed the other almost identical image today and it turned out too dark and I had to lighten it and print it again, if that means anything re: monitor viewing.

Roman Kurywczak
06-06-2012, 10:07 AM
Hey Judy,
This has a good mood to it and Andrew brought up some good suggestions. If you go to f/16 or 22.....you would get a more pronounced sunburst. It does depend on the lens greatly and how much of the sun you include. Be careful not to blind yourself either! I do wish there was a bit of room on either side of the trees....not sure what was there though and may have been a problem.

Morkel Erasmus
06-07-2012, 04:21 PM
A very nice mood going on here Judy!
I agree with Roman that going a touch wider on both sides would have enhanced this, if possible from where you were standing :S3:.

Robert Amoruso
06-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Judy,

You created a pleasing image of the trees and sunrise. I too agree with Roman's comments.

Judy Howle
06-10-2012, 01:08 PM
Sorry to be so late replying but I had a busy week and I did check for comments for 2 days.

Thanks Roman, Morkel and Robert! I cropped close because of the other trees on both sides but I will take another look at it. Roman thanks for the tip aobut getting a better sunburst effect with a smaller aperture.

Andrew Aveley
06-24-2012, 10:23 AM
Great scene with some advice I can only echo...........nicely done here !!