PDA

View Full Version : Grassland orchid

Jerry van Dijk
06-02-2012, 03:46 PM
I had the privilege to visit one of the rarest ecosystems in The Netherlands today. Loads of broad-leaved marsh orchids (Dactylorhiza majalis subsp. majalis) were starting to bloom.
Self criticism: I should have removed the grass leaf in front of the lower flowers.

Nikon D7000, 200mm f/4D ED-IF AF Micro, handheld, ISO-400, f/4.2, 1/800 sec.
ACR6.4, levels, sharpness, slight crop

Roman Kurywczak
06-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Hey Jerry,
Agree with your self assesment that shows the environs nicely without overpowering the bloom. Nicely done!

Jerry van Dijk
06-05-2012, 04:12 AM
Thanks Roman!

Steve Maxson
06-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Hi Jerry. I would agree about the grass in front of the flower (but maybe pulling up plants in a rare ecosystem is frowned upon :S3: ). I like the comp with the off-center flower and the other plants visible. The light looks rather flat - I wonder if increasing contrast would give the image a little more pop? Overall, this is nicely done!

Jerry van Dijk
06-06-2012, 02:08 AM
Thanks Steve! The nature manager was actually standing next to me, I'm quite sure that he would be frowning when somebody started pulling plants. It was already very unusual that we could walk among the plants.
The image was taken when some clouds moved before the sun. I actually liked the subdued light, which emphasizes the frailty of the flower. I tried a version with more contrast and a little more color, but liked this version better.

Ken Childs
06-11-2012, 10:17 AM
Jerry, it would have been nice if the grass in front of the blooms wasn't there but it's not a deal killer for me. I like the comp and the soft light but I can see why Steve would suggest a little more contrast. A very small boost would look good, IMHO. The top of the flower stalk looks a little softer than the rest so you might add some selective sharpening to that top bud.

Jerry van Dijk
06-12-2012, 02:47 AM
Thanks Ken! Good call on the top of the flower and I'll have another go with the contrast adjustments.
Thanks all for taking the time to comment!