Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation -2/3
ISO Speed 800
Lens EF180mm f/3.5L Macro USM
Image Quality RAW
White Balance Mode Daylight
AF Mode AI Servo AF
Color Space Adobe RGB

Trying to get one in a good position on a convenient perch is not easy, despite the fact they are very sedentary, I had to use a relatively high ISO because it was slightly breezy and I had to grab a few exposure as the breeze dropped.
All C & C welcome.

Don Lacy
06-02-2012, 09:23 AM
Very nice love the BG and perch

Jerry van Dijk
06-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Very nicely done, Jon! Very interesting moth, lovely perch and BG. I would be inclined to add a little canvas below and up the contrast a little.

Roman Kurywczak
06-04-2012, 12:38 PM
As usal with your images Jonathan.....fantastic BG. I don't know if it is the species but the pose looks odd to me but I can't put my finger on it. It may just be that it is unfamiliar to me! Very nice work as usual!

Jonathan Ashton
06-04-2012, 12:43 PM
As usal with your images Jonathan.....fantastic BG. I don't know if it is the species but the pose looks odd to me but I can't put my finger on it. It may just be that it is unfamiliar to me! Very nice work as usual!
Roman you are right, the pose is "wrong" they are very obliging from a non movement point of view (apart from the breeze that is) but when they stay still they almost invariably stay upside down or sideways at the "wrong" angle, I have a few other nice images but the moth is upside down in relation to the perch or it is back to front!

Steve Maxson
06-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Hi Jonathan. I love the detail in the fuzzy whites. I also like the slight diagonal of the grass stem and the clean background. I might wish for a bit more room at the bottom (or is it the top? :S3: ), but this is very nicely done!

Ken Childs
06-11-2012, 10:10 AM
Hi Jon, the pose looks great to me but that's probably because I'm a hard-core moth-er and this angle really helps when trying to ID some of these white moths. The BG looks wonderful and as others have mentioned, a tiny bit more room at the bottom would be nice. Well done overall!