PDA

View Full Version : Big Daddy

Andreas Liedmann
06-01-2012, 11:35 PM

Hi ,photographed this big buffalo in Addo Elephant NP.Taken this image and made a tight version out of it in PP.I was not sure how to crop it,the image is not large enough in vertical to crop out a vertical portrait.Only a square format would be possible,as far as i see.I do not like square crop,so i decided to crop it this way.Tell me what options you see???

Canon EOS 1D Mark II
ef 4-5.6 100 - 400 at 150mm
Beanbag

f8 / 1/100 / ISO 100

C&C welcome

Cheers Andreas

Ken Watkins
06-02-2012, 03:19 AM
Andreas,

He is indeed a large "Dagga" boy. As his eyes are pointing slightly right as viewed I wonder if a bit off the left might remove the central positioning?

The other question is have you got enough at the bottom for the "virtual" hooves?

Had a play hope you do not mind.

Steve Kaluski
06-02-2012, 04:00 AM
Hi Andreas, the image I feel isn't working in several ways.

Firstly the IQ isn't there, the low ISO giving only 1/100 is not ideal and if this is almost FF, its just too tight not allowing any flexibility in cropping. The position of the subject is too central within in this format, no leeway above & below the subject, with too much dead space either side. The option I think would to have shot the subject with more space around allowing options for cropping in a landscape format placing the subject to the right or left in frame, or a vertical format which personally I think would have been the better option, creating the space you need top & bottom. However, this may have emphasised the almost bleached out sky too much.

I also feel, like the Fur seal Andreas, you are battling with the processing of the MKIIN images, as they are not as good as your earlier ones (but you cannot compare the MKII with the MKIV), the image lacks the detail, clarity & depth, but we have spoke about this, and knowing the files, like you, I find it very frustrating.

Just another option too perhaps, but the balance is not right as you need more at the foot of the image.

TFS
Steve

Marc Mol
06-02-2012, 07:10 AM
I like the low perspective here Andreas, but agree on the quality and cropping issues.
TFS

Andreas Liedmann
06-02-2012, 03:57 PM
Here is another attempt by me.Please make a statement if you think it is a positive step or not.

PhilCook
06-02-2012, 08:03 PM
That's one scary looking beast, agree with some of the previous comments, but I feel your last edit is an improvement, a little more foreground would be even nicer...but I still like it.

Ken Watkins
06-02-2012, 11:19 PM
Andreas,

The re-post is to my eyes a good improvement, whilst it may be taken with "old technology" it was still a mighty fine camera, with some say Canon's best ever AF. Good enough to win Wildlife Image of the Year on here:w3

Andreas Liedmann
06-02-2012, 11:26 PM
Thank you guys for all your good and hopefully honest comments.

Cheers Andreas

Ken Watkins
06-03-2012, 02:08 AM
Thank you guys for all your good and hopefully honest comments.

Cheers Andreas

If I am one thing it is honest, honest:bg3::w3

Rachel Hollander
06-03-2012, 08:05 AM
Andreas - good comments above. Repost is an improvement.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Canuel
06-05-2012, 12:29 AM
Andreas,
I personally don't mind square crops if there's a nice symmetry to the subject, which the buffalo in your photo has with those wide, sweeping horns. I think your repost works quite well.

Morkel Erasmus
06-05-2012, 04:45 PM
The repost sure is an improvement ito apparent IQ, Andreas. He has a fine boss on him.
I cannot comment on the 1Dmk2N but I know it has delivered some good files, certainly the Mk4 should be a great leap forward ito sensor tech.

Andreas,
I personally don't mind square crops if there's a nice symmetry to the subject, which the buffalo in your photo has with those wide, sweeping horns. I think your repost works quite well.

I used to detest square crops but I do find myself enjoying the odd one now and then, particularly those that ring true in terms of Steve's description.