PDA

View Full Version : Common Yellowthroat in habitat.

Bill Dix
06-01-2012, 01:35 PM
This ubiquitous little guy actually seems to like lots of different habitats, but the marsh is one. I kept him smaller in the frame than I often do, because I liked the almost monochromatic marsh and the way the colorful bird popped out from it. (Point Pelee three weeks ago.) I feel humbled posting a series of warblers right after Matthew's stunning post of the Connecticut, but there you have it.

D7000, 500f4 + 1.4, ISO 1600, 1/1600s @ f/6.3 manual, tripod, cropped from horizontal.

dankearl
06-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Very nice Bill, a very nice BG, the bird really pops.

Daniel Cadieux
06-01-2012, 02:34 PM
This looks great Bill. Awesome comp you've chosen, and I love the BG (although I wish the OOF stem directly below the tail wasn't there). Great colours here, you presented this little guy just right!

gail bisson
06-01-2012, 02:45 PM
You nailed this one Bill. I love the BG. Looks like a silk drape.
Comp is perfect.Bird position perfect.
I too wish the OOF reed below the tail wasn't there.
An excellent image
Gail

Kaustubh Deshpande
06-01-2012, 05:04 PM
absolutely fabulous. one of ur best IMO. what a shot. the bird is killer sharp...BG is simply WOW. loved the comp. as well. Do you have the same pattern in BG extending all the way to the left? if yes, then a horizontal crop might also work really well.

Jack Breakfast
06-01-2012, 05:16 PM
This is very very good, Bill...I too photographed many of the c yellowthroats on Pelee's Marsh Boardwalk, but my 300mm lens didn't cut the mustard. Yours was just the sort of shot I was going for. You should be very pleased indeed and I would advise against being humbled by anything or anyone. Instead, learn and listen and appreciate and keep presenting these terrific pictures. Then again, you say potato...

Morkel Erasmus
06-01-2012, 05:35 PM
this little guy really pops nicely from the BG, Bill!
the diagonal perch is a strong element in the comp too...

Kaustubh Deshpande
06-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Bill, can you upload the full frame original? I am hoping there would be multiple crop options to explore. such a gorgeous shot. I keep coming back to it :-)

Karl Egressy
06-02-2012, 08:35 AM
Striking shot, Bill.

Bill Dix
06-02-2012, 08:37 AM
Thanks everyone.

Daniel and Gail, I did clone out a part of one reed below and behind the bird, but shied away from the second one. Looking at it again, I probably could take that one out.

Kaustubh, here's the unprocessed file, SOC except for RAW conversion and resizing. As you can see, the OP is a very large crop. For the OP I also cloned out a piece of reed, and softened one reed that wasn't as oof as the rest, and boosted the contrast in the bird and perch, and ran a heavy dose of Topaz DeNoise on the bg. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on alternate comps.

Daniel Cadieux
06-02-2012, 11:03 AM
Bill, from your uncropped file I do think it would lend itself quite well to a horizontal comp...

jack williamson
06-02-2012, 12:41 PM
I am going to like this however you crop. The little bird is gorgeous against that awesome bg. Very good IQ in the op with such a crop.

Jack

Arno Ellmer
06-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Stunning capture of a striking bird,Bil. I like the comp, the pose , and the light bg truly highlights the bird.

Colin Knight
06-03-2012, 03:03 AM
Love it as presented Bill. It "pops" just like you say. Great job!

Satish Ranadive
06-03-2012, 01:02 PM
Very sweet image ,Sir.

Jim Crosswell
06-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Excellent image Bill! I like the pose, perch, composition, colours and setting.

Kaustubh Deshpande
06-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Bill, your crop is excellent...and is probably the best for web presentation. I agree with Daniel...this will look good as horizontal with bird small in frame as well.

Bill Dix
06-04-2012, 04:00 PM
Thanks again, everyone. Daniel and KD: I'll go back and take a look at an alternate horizontal version. Since the bird holds his own against the BG, it should work to have him smaller in an alternate comp.