PDA

View Full Version : Greenland Through Acrylic at 25,000 Feet

Stephen Stephen
04-16-2008, 07:31 PM
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s219/Squidcan/Landscapes/Greenland01.jpg

In August 2005 my wife and I visited her sister in England. It was a beautiful trip and we passed by Greenland on our flight home. The timing and weather couldn't have been better. You can see a glacier and several icebergs in this image. I just wish that the windows had been new in the plane. Still I'm pleased with my images since I'm unlikely to be so lucky again.

Rebel XT with 18-55mm kit lens. F13, ISO400, 1/500 sec. Applied Graduated ND Filter in PhotoShop and adjusted levels.

Gus Cobos
04-16-2008, 07:46 PM
Very nice Stephen,
Like this image alot. Must be cold...:eek:
Congrats:D

Robert Amoruso
04-17-2008, 06:37 AM
Stephen,

I like the transition of the blue sky at top to the ice field and then to the iceberg which then flows right to the mountains and then to the sea. Diagonal lines of the mountains also a strong compositional element.

I did a local contrast enhancement USM 30-60-0 with opacity at 70% to cut through some of the haze. Either version works for me, just depends on what the photographer wants. The differences is subtle and I am hard-pressed to see it in the repost. In PS when I toggle the layer on and off, it is noticeable however.

Nice work.

Roman Kurywczak
04-17-2008, 08:37 AM
I'm with Robert's fix on this one. It appears to have gotten rid of the haze from the window perhaps? Nicely tweaked by RA..........but nicely taken and composed by you.
Roman

Stephen Stephen
04-17-2008, 11:39 AM
Thank you Gus, Robert and Roman. Robert I do see a subtle differnce for the better. Nature gave something beautiful to work with. I'll likely post a couple more from this series since I found the scenery so rugged and untamed.