gail bisson
06-01-2012, 05:11 AM
Took this one at Fort Desoto last month at 9:46AM
Canon 1D MK IV
F 500mm and 1.4X
ISO 400
F 6.3
SS 1/1600
Cropped by ~25% and cloned a bright burgundy weed out of BG that intersected with the beak.
Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks,
Gail
Have a good weekend everyone!

Ofer Levy
06-01-2012, 07:09 AM
Hi Gail, I like this alot! I have never seen this bird but I feel light looks a bit harsh in here and I think with slightly more processing this can look nicer. Here is a quick repost -maybe I went too far but starting from the RAW you can do a much better job.

Jim Crosswell
06-01-2012, 07:18 AM
Nice image Gail! I like the low angle, eye contact, sharpness and BG. I like Ofers repost.

gail bisson
06-01-2012, 07:55 AM
Hi Gail, I like this alot! I have never seen this bird but I feel light looks a bit harsh in here and I think with slightly more processing this can look nicer. Here is a quick repost -maybe I went too far but starting from the RAW you can do a much better job.
Thanks OFer,
I like what you did. Can you tell me exactly what you did?
The light was indeed bright as it was 9:45AM in Florida,
Gail

Ofer Levy
06-01-2012, 08:00 AM
Thanks OFer,
I like what you did. Can you tell me exactly what you did?
The light was indeed bright as it was 9:45AM in Florida,
Gail
Oy, I did it in one minute but really the basic - levels, some boost in colours, some S/H (played with mid-tone contrast as well), some blurring of BG. When you convert from RAW (I hope you do it in DPP and NOT in photoshop) play with WB to make it slightly warmer. Try to get it right and PM if you need more help.

Marina Scarr
06-01-2012, 08:18 AM
I have a feeling I was next to you when you photographed this, Gail. I just haven't processed mine yet. I really like it a lot esp with the catch. Ofer's repost really makes it stronger.

Daniel Cadieux
06-01-2012, 09:05 AM
Excellent image, love the feeding pose and water falling off the bill. Ofer's repost is really good.

I labelled all my Florida Dowitchers as "Short-billed"...just wondering if yours is one of those or mine are indeed "Long-billed"...

arash_hazeghi
06-01-2012, 11:17 AM
super Gail, love the low angle and sharp details I like what Ofer has done to the image

well done

Dumay de Boulle
06-01-2012, 12:39 PM
I like it a lot. The angle is fantastic and the light looks great. I like what Ofer did regarding color

Frank Schauf
06-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Beautiful portrait, great pose, light and colours.

Bill Dix
06-01-2012, 01:10 PM
Great shot, Gail. Terrific low angle, good pose, and a killer painterly BG. Repost by Ofer makes it pop. Don't know if another stop would have helped the DOF more than it would hurt the nice BG. I also wondered if this was a Short-billed. The Long-billed should show more rufous on the belly in breeding season, I think, but I'm no expert.

dankearl
06-01-2012, 02:28 PM
I really like this Gail, up close and personal.
Ofer's repost looks good but the OP looks fine to me also.
The BG is really nice.

gail bisson
06-01-2012, 02:39 PM
Excellent image, love the feeding pose and water falling off the bill. Ofer's repost is really good.

I labelled all my Florida Dowitchers as "Short-billed"...just wondering if yours is one of those or mine are indeed "Long-billed"...
Hmmm... you could be right. I just went through my bird ID and it says there is no grey on the forehead of a long billed so I think this is short-billed. Feel free to amend the title Daniel and thanks to Bill as well.
Marina- you were right beside me for this one!
Gail

Arno Ellmer
06-01-2012, 11:02 PM
This is stunning ,Gail ! The repost really takes a very good image to a next level. I love the angle of the bird ,the feeding pose ,the light (despite being late morning ) and the beautiful complementary bg.

Stu Bowie
06-02-2012, 12:52 AM
Hi Gail, a bit late to the party here. Great low angle, works so well with these type of images, and your comp is spot on. I like the feeding pose, that BG is a killer. I feel Ofer's repost does add a touch more pop with regards to colour.

jack williamson
06-02-2012, 01:01 PM
Excellent position of the bird, eye contact is perfect and the bg is special. Ofers' repost makes it pop.

Jack