PDA

View Full Version : Film scanner recomendations?

Dan Brown
04-16-2008, 07:23 PM
Hi everyone. I am thinking about upgrading film scanners. I currently use an HP Photosmart 2020. I know that this is really a bottom of the line scanner, so it won't be hard to improve on it. I would like to spend less than 1K. If you would be so kind to give me some feedback on this subject I would be very grateful!

Dan Brown,
Sacramento

Roger Clark
04-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Dan,
I have a photosmart scanner (the original). Yes. pretty low quality, but was good when it first came out. I've been using a polaroid sprintscan 4000, which is pretty good. I just ordered a Nikon 5000 scanner, and it was just under $1000. It should give me a slight increase in quality, but more important is it is USB so it can be easily moved from computer to computer (my sons have promised to help scan my vast collection of slides).
Roger

Richard Kowalski
04-18-2008, 01:35 AM
I'm looking at the Plustek OpticFilm 7500i AI for <$500. The reviews I've read are pretty positive on both the hardware and the bundled software.

http://www.plustek.com/usa/product/7500i_ai.asp

Robert O'Toole
04-18-2008, 09:00 AM
Oh no I am having film scanner flashback nightmares. Film scanners are reason 5,345,506 to shoot or reshoot on with digital :)

I used a Nikon 4000ED with the bulk feeder for years and had more than a few issues with the feeder, the 1394 card and the feed spring issues.

Thankfully I have been out of film scanning for almost a decade but when I was just starting digital the rage was a frosted diffuser lens and wet mounts.

Robert