PDA

View Full Version : Wing Tips

JeffreyJohn
05-31-2012, 05:29 PM

Hi all. I had a lot of fun last month shooting in Magee Marsh in northern Ohio. This is first post on here so I hope I can live up to the amazing standards I have seen. Appreciate all thoughts and comments on the image.

Cheers,

Jeffrey John

Randy Stout
05-31-2012, 06:43 PM
Jeffrey:

A big welcome to BPN. You will find it a great place to learn and grow as a nature photographer.

The wingtip almost touching the water makes for a striking composition, and the reflection of the tip of the wing is good. Ripples weakened the rest of the reflection, but I think you made a good choice to leave the entire reflection in. A little more room at the bottom would help balance the image a bit if you have it. If not, it would be very easy to add a sliver of canvas below.

I like the left to right spacing in the frame, some room to fly into.

The image is a bit dark for my tastes.

In general, bird images are most engaging when the subject is angled towards you. Sometimes a good story can be told with other poses, but that is usually a very good starting point.

It is good that you can see the eye here.

Be sure to include your shooting info, camera, lens, settings, flash, etc. as well as any post processing done. It really helps us understand and critique the image.

Again, welcome to BPN, look forward to more.

Cheers

Randy

Melissa Groo
05-31-2012, 06:53 PM
Welcome to BPN Jeffrey. It is really the best place on the web to learn and grow as a photographer. You have an arresting mirror image here, nice capture. I agree with Randy that the bird angled towards you rather than away would be preferable. I like your comp and that you've left space to fly into.
Looking forward to seeing more from you. Magee Marsh must have been amazing!

JeffreyJohn
05-31-2012, 07:29 PM
Thanks for warm welcome. Asking bird to fly towards me is something I worked on in couple weeks after this image. LOL This was second day effort. So many great and beautiful things to see and capture.

I tried to compose on wings...will see about adding room under. I am sure I have.

This image was with a Nikon D300 on a tripod. Used a Nikon Nikkor 300mm f4 for this. Will include info in future posts

I only pulled raw image into Lightroom with minimal exposure and clarity adjustments. Cropped also. Nothing more.

Thanks for comments and keep coming please

Daniel Cadieux
06-01-2012, 10:03 AM
Hey Jeffrey, a big welcome to BPN!!! You've already had some good advice so I won't elaborate more on that. When you say "second day effort" do you mean in bird photography in general?? If so, you did quite well and applying what you can learn here on BPN will only make you better each time out!

Looking forward to more...