PDA

View Full Version : Moose image #3

Grady Weed
05-31-2012, 03:42 PM
Same Moose, just a different pose. Image from about 30 feet away. Full framed image for a 12x18 print. Some white balance by dropper, slight s/h, levels in CS4.

Here are the specs: Canon EOS-1D Mark II N, Shooting Date/Time 5/28/2012 6:43:18 AM, Aperture-Priority, Shutter Speed - 1/80, Av 6.3, Evaluative Metering, Exposure Compensation 0, ISO 800, Lens: EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM, Image Quality RAW, Flash Off, White Balance Mode Auto, AI Servo AF.

Rachel Hollander
05-31-2012, 08:16 PM
Grady - Nice portrait. A little tight at the bottom and I think you needed a bit more dof to get the whole nose in focus too but your ss was already slow so that would have been problematic. I hope you don't mind a repost. I applied a luminosity mask at 30%, decreased the sats of the green -30, pulled the midtone slider in levels to the left (1.15) and burned the very bright green leaves in lrc at 7%. I also applied a bit more sharpening. WDYT?

TFS,
Rachel

Edited to add: I may have gone a bit too far with the midtones.

Ken Watkins
05-31-2012, 09:49 PM
Grady,

Light was clearly not on your side, I do not think I have ever taken a MkIIn above ISO 800 so there was little you could do to get a better SS other than lower the F stop, then you have a DOF problem.

Rachel's repost helps a lot with both detail and sharpness,

Steve Kaluski
06-01-2012, 10:00 AM
Hi Grady, colour looks much better, the tweak has really made a big difference. Personally I prefer your OP as the colours, tones etc look better as I feel in Rachel's it looks now a little 'thin' in density of colour, plus the image has a little crunchy feel to it, but certainly the edition sharpening has helped?

I might suggest a little/fraction of NR to part of the BKG, rather than reduce the saturation perhaps just the yellow, and a hint of black & neutral then apply quite rightly some more sharpening as Rachel mention. I would have also thought about shooting wide open to increase your SS, nothing to lose I think.

Let me know if a RP will aid my critique.

TFS
Steve

Grady Weed
06-01-2012, 07:27 PM
After much consideration, I decided to dump all of the frames and just keep 2. With such low light, the coat is not the best, and we will be gloing back 3 or 4 times before the velvet comes off, the racks will also be much larger. I think I will take my chances the fall will be better for light colors and well, bigger racks and better coats. I really appreciate everyones comments.