PDA

View Full Version : Moose #2

Grady Weed
05-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Same conditions as the last post. Same Moose. A full frame image for a 12x18 print.

Specs: Canon EOS-1D Mark II N, Shooting Date/Time 5/28/2012 6:36 AM, Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/100, Av( Aperture Value ) 6.3, Evaluative Metering, Exposure Compensation 0, ISO Speed 800, Lens EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM, Image Quality RAW, Flash Off.

Morkel Erasmus
05-30-2012, 04:14 PM
nice details brought out by the soft light, Grady
I've never seen moose with my eyes, so perhaps this is off-base, but I'm wondering if you need to tone down the hues of magenta and blue I'm seeing in its coat?

Grady Weed
05-30-2012, 04:20 PM
They will give a blueish cast under wet conditions, like the shoulder area on this one. Sometimes they go dark black, kinda oily. It all depends on the moose. Angle of light etc can cause the coat to look different from moment to moment. I will take a second look to make sure however.

Steve Canuel
05-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Another nice profile, color looks accurate to my eye although the whole scene seems a touch bright. Looking at the coat again, I recall seeing a photo somwhere of a Maine moose that had been heavily infested with ticks that caused it to lose a lot of it's fur. Having heard of the abundance of those little blood suckers in your neck of the woods, I wonder if maybe this moose has endured a similar infestation and is just now starting to grow back its fur?

Ken Watkins
05-31-2012, 01:39 AM
Grady,
Another "beauty", I have no idea what the colours are supposed to be but I have to agree with Morkel regarding the Magenta/Blue.

Mark Wiseman
05-31-2012, 05:27 AM
Hi Grady,
A fine moose image, I like the composition of your image. I cannot comment on colour as this monitor is not calibrated.
TFS and best wishes,
Mark.

Rachel Hollander
05-31-2012, 07:04 AM
Hi Grady - Color discussion aside, I feel this is also a bit bright and that the IQ/sharpness has suffered from the ss. It just doesn't look crisp to me. Sorry. Let's see some more from the sighting.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
05-31-2012, 07:48 AM
Hi Grady, I think I would echo my previous comments re terms of the overall image, but have you applied any Vibrancy or Saturation. With saturation it can affect certain colours I have found. Certain the BKG is bright in more ways than one so I might suggest an Exposure adjustment there only, but I would also consider applying some NR too.

TFS
Steve

Grady Weed
05-31-2012, 09:00 AM
Applied suggestions and re-visited my color profile in CS4, calibrated monitor etc. What do you think of the changes.

Ken Watkins
05-31-2012, 09:20 AM
Grady,

As I have said I have no idea as to what colours a Moose is supposed to be , but certainly the Moose itself looks more "natural" in the re-post.

Grady Weed
05-31-2012, 09:28 AM
I re-posted a re-post with the color profile embeded as per Steve Kaluski suggestion. I can see a clear difference now between with an image profile embeded and one without. Thanks for the kick in the pants Steve & Ken.

Steve Kaluski
05-31-2012, 09:30 AM
Hi Grady, firstly the image has no Colour profile so the colours are not reflective of your image, only what the Browser will see, hence my PM to check certain boxes in your Save for Web process.

You have certainly reduced the Magenta giving this RP the look it has, however the greens are just too vibrant. If the file has the correct profile then importing into PS to view creates no colour shift and then feedback/comments can be made. certainly there is more detail and clarity compared to the OP, but I do think the colours are not as reflective in both BKG and subject.

cheers
Steve

Steve Kaluski
05-31-2012, 09:58 AM
Grady, did you repost the new version over the old RP with the correct profile in pane 9? If so, then that is far better, but my comments above are then not applicable. Best to always RP on a separate reply so viewers get the whole thread. Doesn't it make life easier when you follow the correct path, LOL :bg3:.

Glad it's now resolved, any further questions let me know, oh and keep that monitor calibrated, at least every month!!!!

cheers
Steve

Grady Weed
05-31-2012, 10:06 AM
Grady, did you repost the new version over the old RP with the correct profile in pane 9? If so, then that is far better, but my comments above are then not applicable. Best to always RP on a separate reply so viewers get the whole thread. Doesn't it make life easier when you follow the correct path, LOL :bg3:.

Glad it's now resolved, any further questions let me know, oh and keep that monitor calibrated, at least every month!!!!

cheers
Steve

I repent in sack cloth and ashes o great and wise Photoshop guru and taker of images!

Steve Kaluski
05-31-2012, 10:34 AM
LOL, Grady a simple fix that I think a lot of people miss unless they follow the steps in the sticky 'Save for Web', but glad to see it has resolved the main issue, however I shall be watching closely on the next post. :bg3::bg3:

Andreas Liedmann
05-31-2012, 12:00 PM
Hi Grady
the colors in RP look ok this time.

Andreas

Mark Wiseman
05-31-2012, 01:25 PM
Hi Grady,
The moose colours look fine Grady, just not sure with the background colour, but I would follow steve's suggestion.
With many thanks,
Mark.