PDA

View Full Version : Just another fur seal

Andreas Liedmann
05-30-2012, 12:58 PM

Hi to all you out there,
just another try in nice morning light,hope you like it.

Canon EOS 1D Mark II
500 IS L
Tripod
f5 / 1/200 sec / ISO 200 90% of FF

Processed in DPP + CS6 tryout

C&C as always welcome

try to figure out my sharpening problems with seals:tinysmile_shy_t:

Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
05-30-2012, 02:15 PM
Andreas, like bears they can be a nightmare because of the wet fur. This looks good and certainly 100% better than the previous posting, will look at it later on 'The Beast' for colour, detail etc. Glad you didn't smash your computer up in frustration. :bg3:

Steve

Rachel Hollander
05-30-2012, 03:12 PM
Andreas - I like the golden sheen to this and the pov and comp. If mine I would probably smooth out the small white area in the bg behind the sea lion and just above the rock. There also seems to be a slight halo around the right flipper (lhs as we look at the image) and along the chest of the sea lion.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
05-30-2012, 04:32 PM
This looks good Andreas. Love the colour on this guy...and a "regal" pose if ever they are capable of that :bg3:.
I too see the flipper-halo Rachel mentioned...

Steve Canuel
05-30-2012, 06:51 PM
Andreas,
Really like the BG, golden colors, and pose of the seal with the tail flippers wrapping around and pointing in the same direction that the seal is looking. Might only tone down the FG rock a touch. Nice photo.

Ken Watkins
05-31-2012, 01:46 AM
Andreas,

This is a mighty shiny seal. Nice pose and detail, I might try toning down the BG a bit.

I have pixel peeped the "halo" and it seems that the upper part of the flipper is a natural sheen but that further along may have been caused during processing, not that it really concerns me overly.

Mark Wiseman
05-31-2012, 05:43 AM
Hi Andreas,
The golden wet look really was my first impression. A wonderful comp and perspective. Agree with Ken on sharpening issue, the hazy background does not help and with high contrast edges it is always a problem.
TFS and best wishes,
Mark.

Dumay de Boulle
05-31-2012, 05:51 AM
Lovely detail and light, good comp and the seals are OOF enough in the BG not to distract.

Steve Kaluski
05-31-2012, 07:43 AM
Lovely detail and light, good comp and the seals are OOF enough in the BG not to distract.

I would second that. :5

Rachel/Morkel I think what you are seeing is the highlight off set with the lightish background behind. If it was a halo I think it would be a constant line, this varies in tone and thickness, however Andreas will, I am sure confirm things on the original.

TFS
Steve

Stu Bowie
05-31-2012, 12:01 PM
Hi Andreas, I like the perspective here, together with the detail and overall colours. Nicely separated from the BG.

Andreas Liedmann
05-31-2012, 12:34 PM
Thank you for all your comments appreciate them all very much.
I was frustrated after the mess with the last one.
Morkel and Rachel the halo is already on the raw image visible,so it came out a bit more during PP.

Cheers Andreas