PDA

View Full Version : relics from the past

Derek Willcox
05-30-2012, 09:59 AM
taken at Silverton nsw silverton is an old silver mining town in outback NSW that only has about 20 people living there now lot of old buildings and great birding
Exposure Mode: Manual exposure
Exposure Program: Manual
Exposure Time: 1 / 50
FNumber: 16
Focal Length: 35
ISO Speed Ratings: 100
White Balance: Auto white balance
Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Lens Model: Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II
processed using CS5 and Nik Silver Efex Pro 2

Roman Kurywczak
06-06-2012, 10:04 AM
Hey Derek,
Looks like my kind of place! I like your choice of B&W conversion although I generally prefer mine with more tonal range. Silver effex is great but I think you can take this up another level further with some more tweaking to the tones. Keep Ansel Adams in mind and remember how much effort he put into the B&W printing....we can do it much faster but a bit of TLC will definitely make this shine. Just burning in the base of the building will go a long way in making the car stand out even more. As the sky isn't that interesting....I would go for a pano crop.
Just a few thought for you to consider.

Derek Willcox
06-07-2012, 04:27 AM
thanks roman you have gave me some input to go over and thanks for the feed back and i will rework it and repost later
also love your night time shooting ebook

Roman Kurywczak
06-07-2012, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the kind words on the e-book Derek and I look forward to the repost.

Morkel Erasmus
06-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Hi Derek
Roman hit my thoughts exactly. My 2 issues here are tonal range and overall comp which I don't find that compelling personally. :e3
You can still make something of this. I always like playing around with a "red filter" on the sky (taking down blue and cyan values in conversion) which darkens the sky considerably.

Robert Amoruso
06-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Derek,

I would agree with Roman and Morkel comments.

To me, this is an excellent scene to move into and concentrate on the more intimate and interesting details.

Derek Willcox
06-08-2012, 04:38 PM
thanks morkel & robert i have to admit i can do a normal colour photo and bring it out but with B&W i really don't understand how to bring it out more
with out being a pain could some of show me some samples so i can get and idea