PDA

View Full Version : White Tailed Gnu 2

Ken Watkins
05-30-2012, 09:18 AM
Here is another image of that odd looking relative:S3:

Originally found extensively in the Karoo but nearly exterminated by hunting, now re-established in SANPARKS and private concessions.

The colours are stated to be " Dark Brown to black, lighter in summer, tail dirty white"

Unfortunately the day was dull and he decided to move off just as I pressed the button.

Taken in Mountain Zebra National Park, South Africa, 22nd April 2012

EOS 1D MkIV

500mm F4 hand-held

F6.3, ISO 800, 1/200, EV+0.33

Grady Weed
05-30-2012, 01:21 PM
Ken, How about this one for levels, curves, s/h, contrast etc? Same comp as original post.

Rachel Hollander
05-30-2012, 03:06 PM
Hi Ken - I prefer the colors, tone and brightness in your OP. It's a nice look at a wilde and the bit of motion blur in the legs doesn't bother me. I like the extended tail. A little tight at the bottom though and it looks like there were some selection issues around the nose and mouth area.

TFS,
Rachel

Andre van As
05-30-2012, 03:47 PM
Ken
I agree with Rachel. I am guessing that this was an overcast day ( as you mentioned) as I see no shadows and a very uniform lighting of the Gnu. At the best of times they are very difficult to portray because of their colour and their posture with the head down. However there is a light in the eye which is accentuated by Gary's rendition. Very difficult to get a stunning picture of these critters - I tried for scores of years!
Regards

Andre

Steve Canuel
05-30-2012, 06:46 PM
Ken,
I really like these simple kind of wildlife photos. A nice view of the features of the animal and a little sense of habitat. On this particular one you got a nice view of four legs in different positions, the head and horns, and the mane and tail. Thanks for the bit of background info too. Like your suricate post, I also find this one lacking a little contrast as well as being just a touch too bright (no doubt from the overcast conditions you described). A little tweak on the dark and midpoint of levels brings out some nice color and detail to my eye.

Marc Mol
05-30-2012, 07:40 PM
A little tweak on the dark and midpoint of levels brings out some nice color and detail to my eye.

Agree with Steve here as well, certainly different to their more common cousin.
TFS

Ken Watkins
05-31-2012, 01:37 AM
Grady your re-post made me wonder what had happened to my monitor?

It seems that my last calibration had gone hopelessly wrong in particular the brightness, I have now re-calibrated and I can now better understand the "dark" comments, so thank you for that.

Lets hope I get it right later.

Mark Wiseman
05-31-2012, 05:24 AM
Hi Ken,
A lovely image with good composition and detail, well done.
TFS and best wishes,
Mark.
PS: For your attention alwynmyburgh@gmail.com

Dumay de Boulle
05-31-2012, 05:47 AM
I liked this image when I saw it elsewhere but the repost is way too light and washed out. Your OP may a bit dark but only by a 0.25 of a stop.

Stu Bowie
05-31-2012, 11:15 AM
Hi Ken, good eye contact from the WB, and the fur shows up nicely. Yes to a touch more contrast, and a little more room below.

Morkel Erasmus
06-01-2012, 06:08 AM
nice pose here Ken, the blurred leg adds
I agree on bringing up darks and midtones just a touch...