PDA

View Full Version : Mashatu leopard

LauraDyer
05-30-2012, 07:46 AM
Hi all..

I took this image in Mashatu of the female leopard with eyes that are a blueish colour. They had been feeding on a kill and she made her way down to the crook of the tree.
Settings: f5.6, 1/250 ISO400.
It was in the shade, and image is a slight crop from bottom and right, and a tiny sliver from LHS because I think it looked better being tight that side, otherwise a very small (mm) sliver of bark.
White balance is custom using dropper tool in LR. Welcome to crit as well, thanks for your inout in advance!

Rachel Hollander
05-30-2012, 08:04 AM
Laura - beautiful shot and I like the tightness all around here. Great pov and stare too.

TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
05-30-2012, 08:08 AM
Hi Laura
a bit tight on bottom and top for my taste.I like it because of the leopard stare ,must have seen something interesting.the greenery adds a nice contrast.exposure looks good,but the image can stand a little more contrast and clarity.and i do see a color problem in what i call the neutral areas (black dots in the fur in this case).
So i tried to solve this problem , WDYT? Let me know!!
Cheers Andreas

Ken Watkins
05-30-2012, 09:02 AM
Laura,

This is a nice looking Leopard, the absence of room top and bottom does not bother me.
Andreas's re-post resolves the slight colour problems.

Steve Kaluski
05-30-2012, 09:35 AM
Hi Laura, I think you did well to achieve what you did and the tightish crop works.

Looking at the OP for me the image lacks, detail, definition and clarity, it's just looks flat. Yes you can see the fur in the chest, but the face, for example has no real definition and it has this overall, what I call 'sooty' look, something I see a lot from the 7D, which Morkel might be able to expand on & offer advice on correcting this, as it's a body I have never used. Perhaps this is also what Andreas was referring too? You should be able to see a lot more detail & clarity, especially with the 300 f/2.8 & 1.4 the sharpest lens at the time, until the new series of lenses are released. I personally can't see a colour issue other than in the RP the whites look brighter and there is a bit more saturation in the coat, but it still doesn't look 'clean'. It's really difficult to explain, but hopefully you may get the essence of my comment. I would also suggest in upping the ISO, especially with the 7D to give yourself more SS, 1/250sec is perhaps a little low to HH this. I just wonder if the 7D is a little less forgiving that other cameras, especially when it comes to camera compensation, you say it was in shade, but the comp is -0.33, was this a previous setting?

Hopefully as I say Morkel can add his thoughts on improving the detail overall.

TFS
Steve

LauraDyer
05-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Hi Steve- you have hit the nail on the head, been struggling to put my finger on why this isnt just right- I thought I was having wb issues. It is sharp, but not right when I look at it full size. I have occassionally had this issue with 7D, usually I put it down to lazy technique except this time I had good support etc and it should have been fine under the conditions.
as for exp comp, this movement from a different position was very sudden and I just grabbed the cam and started shooting, she was only still for a few frames. Very frustrating camera the 7D, sometimes I love it, other times it nearly heads over a cliff or into the ocean... waiting on a 1Dx, but canon is **** of a slow. Off to Arctic soon, and not sure if I should just rent a mk4!

Steve Kaluski
05-30-2012, 12:39 PM
Hi Laura, great, thanks for the info and I'm glad that it has, in some way, highlighted both our thoughts & concerns, hence the reason for posting in the 'critique forum'. I there maybe some pointers that you would benefit from in terms of the 7D, but just need to double check, will let you know. Sadly without seeing the actual file it's had to make a proper assessment, but I think it lies with the original file, not anything to do with the web process. I full appreciate the settings and now know why you did what you did.

I would rent the MKIV if the price is right, not sure whether the extra cash is worth going for the X, time will tell, but personally would always wait for at least 6 months having got caught out for the MKIII, 2 new bodies and a lot of tech help from Canon resolved some issues and it performs well, but with some CF correctly managed it's a good camera, just need to set it correctly as it's not something you take out of the box & fire away. :bg3:

I thought you were a Nikon not Canon, as I have seen your images with other cameras :S3:

cheers
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
05-30-2012, 01:10 PM
Hey Steve,
watch the blacks in the RP,or even try to check with eyedropper.they should be neutral from my POV.should they? at least for me.

Regards Andreas

LauraDyer
05-30-2012, 02:28 PM
Hey Steve, I do shoot with both! Have you used mk4? You think it would be worth buying instead of waiting on X as that wont be out before my trip... renting such an expensive exercise! At leats then get 1.3 crop factor for length. Have 5d2 as well...

Steve Kaluski
05-30-2012, 02:51 PM
Hi Laura, how much do you want to spend, do you really need it now, or would renting be better for the short term, if you want the X then you are thinking long term as it isn't a cheap investment. You might like to look at 5DMKIII, if so drop, Grant a line. Suggest you PM if you need more info as I don't want to take this off topic.

Steve :w3

Grady Weed
05-30-2012, 02:58 PM
I took the image into CS4, Levels to a bit darker, then over to Curves for a bit of adjustment, the left top square, up to the left a tad, then S/H down to the left back to 26%. Then to Auto Contrast, very slight difference at this point. Thats it. What do you think?

Morkel Erasmus
05-30-2012, 05:19 PM
Sorry that I'm late to this one, Laura. :bg3:
There has been some constructive critique on this one which is great to see.
I can only agree that the 7D can be a very unforgiving camera. The small pixels at high pixel density place quite a strain on your technique, and the light conditions can mess around your chances of achieving fine detail.
I don't think this is a bin shot...it's a great sighting and you did capture it quite nicely. I think the point here was just that the file isn't "all it can be" :e3.

I actually quite like what Andreas did with a darker post...adds more mood for me.

I'd be happy to discuss particular 7D workflow with you via PM - I've given an extensive 7D workflow to Rachel and Hilary, which they've shared lavishly with other BPN'ers - might be worth contacting them as well.

I too am curious why you would keep 2 systems? Isn't it better to invest in more glass/bodies for the main system you use than to get a camera/lens combo of a "rival" system?
I have seen good results from the 5D3, might be an option! :bg3:

Marc Mol
05-30-2012, 07:46 PM
She's a beauty for sure Laura, love the look of concentration you've captured, I do prefer Andreas RP for mine.
TFS

LauraDyer
05-31-2012, 01:18 AM
Thanks guys for your crits and reposts, I will be having another go at the file to see what I can do! Morkel, ya, I am thinking 5D3... :) I am sure its the me sometimes though, as I can achieve near perfect results under 1/100 when I pay full attention, this was in quite a rush! However, sometimes its not me, def the camera :) But I generally know when it will work for me! Will PM you!
As for using 2 systems, I dont own the nikon, I wish- but I have it at my disposal for 80% of the trips I do (its my dads, and he isn't a big photographer, just enjoys it on the odd occasion with me) , so when theres no weight limit, ie self drive, I take both. Otherwise I stick with the Canon as I know it a lot better! The d3X and I are getting there tho...

Mark Wiseman
05-31-2012, 05:39 AM
Hi Laura,
All leopard images are great to look at as there poses and compositions all vary and don't follow a specific pattern. I would prefer more space at the top and maybe even to the left, but this is being nit picky. Andreas seems to have the blacks just right. Maybe a bit of selective colour change is all that was necessary, Robert's sticky. A fine image and thanks for sharing, best wishes,
Mark.

Dumay de Boulle
05-31-2012, 06:03 AM
Lovely pose from this female, I posted a image a few days ago of a gorgeous female we have here also with baby blue eyes. She is gorgeous (but I am yet to see a ugly Leopard):S3: The IQ is definitely suffering, I haven't read the crits above so not sure what happened. I love what Andreas has done but Grady is so far off the Mark again with his repost. Lovely image, with good potential.

Stu Bowie
05-31-2012, 11:07 AM
Hi Laura, great sighting. I was in Mashatu last Sept, saw a few leopards, but not a clear shot like this. I like you comp with the leopard coming out of the frame, and Andreas' post does look a touch better.