PDA

View Full Version : Phainopepla

Doug Brown
05-30-2012, 07:17 AM
I've seen a number of these over the years, but never seemed to get a decent frame of one. On my visit to Elephant head, this was the only Phainopepla to land on a perch long enough for me to take a short burst of frames. I was pleased with the result for a change.<embed id="application/x-exifeverywhere" type="application/x-exifeverywhere" width="0" height="0">

Canon 5D Mark III, 600mm, f/7.1, 1/1600, ISO 400, manual exposure, tripod, blind<embed id="application/x-exifeverywhere" type="application/x-exifeverywhere" width="0" height="0">

Randy Stout
05-30-2012, 07:25 AM
Doug:

That red eye really jumps out against the dark feathers. Sharp. Interesting perch, can see the vertical as a type of framing element, but overall wish he wasn't so close to it.
Somehow the combination of lines of the perch and the yellow material tends to pull my eye away temp. from the bird.

Lovely BG.

Glad you got one of him!

Cheers

Randy

Frank Schauf
05-30-2012, 10:48 AM
Beautiful portrait, great details and eye contact.

gail bisson
05-30-2012, 02:27 PM
I have never heard of this bird until now.
I love the BG and the raised crest and the iridescence of the feathers. That red eye is very cool.Great HA
IQ is of your usual high standard.
I am not loving the perch. If this was mine I would clone out the entire branch that juts up from the main perch. It would be super easy because of the knot at the fork of the perch.
Gail

Karl Egressy
05-30-2012, 02:53 PM
Stunning image of this nice looking bird, Doug. I might tone down the brighter part of the perch.

Don Nelson
05-30-2012, 09:12 PM
Nice one Doug!
Phainopepla's occur in the desert where ample supplies of desert mistletoe berries exist. (often a parasite on Mesquite in the desert).
Males will also investigate calls at a setup.
You got lucky on this one -- likely coming in for a drink at the Pond.

jack williamson
05-30-2012, 10:19 PM
I have never seen this bird. Great blacks and I love that eye.

Jack

Stu Bowie
05-31-2012, 09:24 AM
Hi Doug, love the alert pose, and yes, that eye pops so well from the dark blue plumage. Sharp where it counts, good to see the raised crest, and I remember stating on your previous that I found the perch interesting - still do. Great BG.

Doug Brown
06-01-2012, 06:22 AM
<embed id="application/x-exifeverywhere" type="application/x-exifeverywhere" width="0" height="0">Thanks for the comments!