Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/250
Av( Aperture Value ) 7.1
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation -2/3
ISO Speed 100
Lens EF500mm f/4L IS USM +1.4x
AF Mode AI Servo AF
AF area select mode Manual selection
The ISO 100 was a calculated attempt at getting optimum quality, the grebes insisted on staying at the far side of the pond and I knew I would have to make a significant crop.
This is another shot from last week, I returned this week to find several nests had been abandoned. When I arrived I found two young men behaving rather suspiciously, I tried to engage them in conversation but they were not forthcoming. When I had made it plain that I was staying to do some photography they somewhat reluctantly moved on. I stayed for about three hours and I noted there were at least three pairs of grebes missing.
I will return, but I am not optimistic.

gail bisson
05-30-2012, 04:33 AM
Excellent low angle and interaction. Love the feel of the environment with the bank in the BG.That baby is so cute!
I know that the following suggestion would be very time consuming but I would clean up the bright water spots as I find them distracting.
Gail
I hope you were incorrect in your assessment of the boys but if you are right then " you did good" and you may have saved this pair.

Humberto Ramos
05-30-2012, 05:50 AM
Jonathan,
Hope nothing appened to the other grebes, in portugal they are common, but is always a pleasure to photograph them.
I do love the interaction between the left grebe and the chick, agree with Gail about the bright water spots, IMO in lighroom its not difficult. I would give another round of selective sharpening on the head of the right.

Gerald Kelberg
05-30-2012, 07:02 AM
Hi Jon,

Nice interaction with the adults and the chick. No chicks here yet!

Image quality seems to have held up well to the crop.

It horrifies me - but does not surprise me - that there would be some idiots out there that would think the Grebes take too many of "their" fish! So, I hope no harm has come to the Grebes.

Regards,

Gerald

Frank Schauf
05-30-2012, 10:52 AM
A very nice situation.

rajojomanik
05-30-2012, 07:09 PM
Well captured interaction between parents and child.

Love the BG with the green reflecting on the water.