PDA

View Full Version : Sunrise Lines

Andrew Aveley
05-29-2012, 11:05 AM
Thought I would post a image from near my home in Knysna. This is a few weeks ago at the beginning of May at the change of seasons. The soft pastel colours that are present in the early morning and at sunset make for great light at this time of the year. I have followed my basic LR 4 workflow , resized & sharpened in CS 5 with a little LCE. The clouds and "mist" on the top right of the image maybe distracting for some but I have left scene untouched. Also at this time of year the light sea fog from spray is unavoidable. All crit and comments appreciated.

Canon 5D MK 2 , Manual , ISO 100 , F 22 , 16-35 mm @ 16 mm , 3.2sec exp and Lee 0.6 soft grad. Tripod and shutter release

Vivaldo Damilano
05-29-2012, 11:15 AM
I love the depth to this image, the sharp high forground give this shot a 3D affect. Just love the color of the clouds and mist doesn't bother me at all, great shot Andrew.

Mark Wiseman
05-29-2012, 11:22 AM
Beautiful sunrise in the south Cape Andrew.
Lovely detail and pastel colours of the rising sun. I like the way the moving water in the channel leads your eye into the image.
Thanks for sharing and best wishes,
Mark.

Morkel Erasmus
05-29-2012, 11:56 AM
A lovely shot Andrew. Love the tones, the gorgeous sky, the FG rocks and the overall comp/mood/feel. :cheers:
I don't mind the spray/mist.

Wonder if it will detract rather than add, but just thinking about maybe toning down magenta slightly in the water? I know much of it is reflected from the sky...:e3

Grady Weed
05-29-2012, 04:59 PM
Beautiful sunrise in the south Cape Andrew.
Lovely detail and pastel colours of the rising sun. I like the way the moving water in the channel leads your eye into the image.
Thanks for sharing and best wishes,
Mark.

My thoughts exactly. I do not mind the color reflection, that might be what Morkel sees as a cast. Love those lines and soft pastels, always calming, soothing and at the same time my mind races to explore every nook and cranny of the scene. I love water scapes with sunrise or sunset. This is a nice one.

Hilary Hann
05-30-2012, 03:00 AM
Lovely strong image Andrew, love the detail in the foreground rocks and the way they lead into the image. Sky colours are beautiful. Nicely seen.

Jay Gould
05-30-2012, 04:51 AM
Andrew, I would not change a thing; thanks for the straight horizon!

There is an optical illusion happening for me looking at your image.

I am experiencing "blast off" as though there is fast movement forward looking at the leading rocks. The white lines in the right rock is like a jump into hyperspace - so cool!

For the record; not stoned!! :Whoa!: ****!! :t3

Mate, you have been presenting some great landscapes. TFS.

PS: I can't believe that the system censored my post; I did not type "****"; I typed what I considered a a harmless and appropriate comment - not a religious interjection.

Andrew Aveley
05-30-2012, 07:07 AM
Thanks all for taking the time to view and comment :) Morks , I was a bit concerned of the image Magenta as a whole. It was very rich colours in the scene and I try not to change the scene to much in post. Think its just the simplistic approach to my work at the moment with regards to the post processing. Some may not agree with this approach and as you have shown with the blending and masks etc that one can get much more out of some images. Jay , thanks for the awesome words and I didnt see the "****" comment :5 Glad you are enjoying the images as much as I am when shooting them :)

Morkel Erasmus
05-30-2012, 07:36 AM
No worries, bud. This image doesn't need blending - you seem to have captured just enough of the right stuff with this single exposure, which is what the grad filters are for in the end.
I'm actually loving the colours as posted. Was just musing out loud!
Simplistic approaches rock...pun intended...:w3

Rachel Hollander
05-30-2012, 08:24 AM
Andrew - I absolutely love everything about this - the colors, the leading lines, the detail in the rocks. Big congrats on this one!

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew Aveley
06-01-2012, 01:13 AM
Thanks Morkel and Rachel, appreciate the comments:cheers:

Andrew McLachlan
06-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Hey Andrew, this is perfect..I'd leave it as is too! So cool to have a killer location like this near your home. I love the rocks and how they are leading us out into the rest of the scene. Great eye! :cheers:

Charissa
06-03-2012, 02:59 PM
Cracking image Andrew.

Judy Howle
06-03-2012, 08:37 PM
I think most of what I like about it has already been pointed out by others. Lovely colors, the amazing rocks leading the eye into the scene, and the nice exposure on the water and sky. Beautiful all around!

Roman Kurywczak
06-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Very nice Andrew. Great lines and colors!!!

Andrew Aveley
06-14-2012, 09:50 AM
Thanks all for the kind words and advice :)