PDA

View Full Version : from death comes life

John Chardine
05-28-2012, 06:39 PM
Our American Elms are dying of disease like everyone else's, and we will lose them all eventually. As they are cut down, new life takes advantage of what is left.

This image started off as three images (-2ev, O, +2) processed in Photomatix Pro (HDR). Out of there and into ACR and used selective dodge and burn using Adjustment Brush. Small crop, subtle Detail Extractor in Color Efex, resample and final Smart sharpen (0.5/80%).

I'll leave it up to you to debate if this is an OOTB image!

I'm not sure what the species of fungus is but I'm on it.

Date: 28 May, 2012, Time: 1708h
Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Lens: EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, @ 140 mm
Program: Aperture Priority
ISO 400, 1/500s, f/8
Exp. comp.: 0.0
Flash: off

Allen Sparks
05-28-2012, 10:17 PM
Hi John, nice image. My eyes are first caught by the large mushroom in the center but i look around the pic and find other interesting items in the rest of the photo. I like the inclusion of little mushroom guy on the right and the texture of the gray wood makes for a nice backdrop. I also like the texture of the mushrooms you caught.

Allen

Ken Childs
05-29-2012, 04:11 PM
John, nicely spotted and nicely captured....this is the perfect angle for this subject! The results of your processing look natural so posting it in Macro is fine with me. Although I like the small mushroom on the right, I don't really like the main subject right in the middle so if it were mine, I'd crop off the right side....right between the small mushroom and the right side of the main 'shroom clump. Whatever you end up doing, print it big and hang it on the wall!

Nate James
05-29-2012, 06:55 PM
Funny that this is my first post here, I've been enjoying all of the macros for a while and trying to get one that I felt comfortable posting here.

Having said that, that looks a lot like a hawk's wing mushroom (http://mushroom-collecting.com/mushroomdryad.html). If the reproductive surface (underside) iis spikey instead of having gills that's a dead giveaway. I haven't tried them (yet) but they are edible (http://www.foodista.com/food/3JDYF4M8/pheasants-back-mushroom) and on my list to try next time I find them. Cutting the mushroom off at the base usually leaves the mycelium intact and it will continue to put out more mushrooms when conditions are right and continue it's job of breaking down the dead wood.

As with any wild mushroom do your own research and be sure for yourself before you try them (there aren't many mushrooms with a toothed reproductive surface and most of them I know of are edible). Let us know if you do decide to try eating them, mushrooms are nothing to be scared of if you do a little homework and more people should be encouraged to enjoy the gourmet food available for free out in nature.

God bless,

Nate.

Bob Miller
05-29-2012, 07:06 PM
John....you have made a beautiful image here. I like it alot! The textures and sharpness are amazing. The DOF you have is amazing for f8! You might consider toning down the LLC just a bit!

OvidiuCavasdan
05-30-2012, 11:28 AM
I like a lot the colors and texture on the mushrooms, initially I was not sure about the green plant...but it fits well with the title. Nicely done.
Cant stop thinking about one with mushrooms texture and colors filling the frame.

Maureen Allen
05-30-2012, 06:14 PM
This is wonderful, John. I really like the textures of the mushrooms and the wood. I agree with the suggestion for cropping out the little mushroom on the right.

Roman Kurywczak
06-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Hey John,
Nicely seen and some great advice above on possible tweaks. I could go either way with the little mushroom.
very nicely handled!

John Chardine
06-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Many thanks for all the great advice. I will play with the crop and have a closer look at "el niņo".