PDA

View Full Version : Mountain climbing mourning dove - More backyard fun

Randy Stout
05-28-2012, 06:31 PM
This adventurous dove was imaged in my back yard, hoping from rock to rock in search of snacks.

D4 600VR f/4 1/640s ISO 800 camera mounted on pedestal in my sled blind.

Post: CS5, selective sharpening, tiny crop from top and left, substantial from below. A bit of a cropping challenge, and the end result is a bit squarish for some, but it seemed to work the best with the lines of the bird and rock.

Advice and comments always appreciated. I thought the grays in the rock went well with the subtle grays in the dove

Cheers

Randy

Don Railton
05-28-2012, 07:14 PM
Nice image for a caption Randy...! I like the crop with the tail on the diagonal but might consider blending/cloning the edge of the OOF face of the foreground rock.. It keeps drawing my eye..

Don

dankearl
05-28-2012, 08:32 PM
You need to step out the back door more often!
Neat pose of an under rated bird.
I think cropping some off the bottom for a more conventional crop would look nice.

Karl Egressy
05-28-2012, 09:04 PM
Love the title and the bird looks great, Randy.

Stu Bowie
05-28-2012, 11:59 PM
Hi Randy, another species that we mostly pass by, and Im glad you took the shot. Good diagonal lines, and I like how the head is against the distant BG. Colours spot on, and look forward to more from your garden.

christopher galeski
05-29-2012, 01:51 AM
nice pose,like the colors,sharp were it needs to be.

Kaustubh Deshpande
05-29-2012, 05:05 PM
I really liked this Randy. the shallow DOF is giving a very surreal feel. The DOF coverage itself is very good IMO as the head, shoulders and feet are covered. Nice soft light and details. sweet BG.

Randy Stout
05-30-2012, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the comments folks. I left the crop with more space below to give him more mountain to climb down !

I do think that I could darken the OOF rock a bit to help it recede visually.

THanks!

Cheers

Randy