PDA

View Full Version : Hey bro, what should we do with him?

Gregor Bergquist
05-28-2012, 04:35 PM
Two hyenas obviously having a chat :c3:

Nikon D3, 600mm, Iso 1600, f/4, 1/1600s, Slightly cropped and levels adjusted in LR

Ken Watkins
05-28-2012, 10:46 PM
An interesting composition here, but certainly on my monitor the colours look very weird indeed. I would try adjusting the WB to start with as the Hyenas rumps seem to have quite a bit of magenta. The blue whist quite possibly natural would be better a little lighter.

Finally I think it could do with some NR on the BG.

Steve Kaluski
05-29-2012, 01:55 AM
Hi Gregor, I like the content, with the two hyenas to one side, with the lion to the right, almost hidden from view in both both senses of the word. Without much info I assume the white specs are rain? I would look at reducing both the Red & Magenta, red being decreased more, likewise the cyan in the sky, but all personal taste. I would also clone out/remove the black mark to the RHS on the horizon line. Based on the DOF, why such a high SS/ISO?

TFS
Steve

Mark Wiseman
05-29-2012, 05:36 AM
Hi Gregor,
I like the composition of your image. Agree with Ken and Steveon the colour cast of the image.
Thanks for sharing and best wishes,
Mark.

Rachel Hollander
05-29-2012, 07:33 AM
I missed the lion at first look! Good suggestions above for improving this.

TFS,
Rachel

Ken Watkins
05-29-2012, 07:46 AM
Gregor,

I hope you do not mind, but I could not resist trying out my ideas.

What do you think, the quality is not the best as the low resolution JPEG is not the best place to start with.

Morkel Erasmus
05-29-2012, 12:07 PM
Well seen Gregor, and you made an image that tells an interesting story...which is better than a standard portrait in my book any day of the week. I wish I did that more. :w3
Nice use of layers as well.
Steve has pointed out the main colour issues which I also have. Ken's repost is in the right direction, but might have too much yellow/green. Somewhere in the middle (or 3/4) perhaps? :tinysmile_shy_t:

Grady Weed
05-29-2012, 04:10 PM
Good advice given above by both Ken and Morkel. Please keep posting and thanks for sharing.

Steve Canuel
05-29-2012, 08:11 PM
Neat comp and some nice colors that just need a little tweaking in Ken's repost direction. I looked at this four times and only noticed the lion after reading Steve K's comments :e3. Was too focused on trying to figure out what the dark spot on the horizon was.

Gregor Bergquist
11-11-2012, 02:13 AM

Having no new wildlife photos, I was having a go at this old one.

Some small corrections, changing WB, curves slightly, removing the bird (black dot).

All the small white dots are indeed rain.

What do you think?

Steve Kaluski
11-11-2012, 06:40 AM
Looks a lot better Gregor, making those initial corrections is key, well done for revisiting the image and RP the result. :cheers:

Gregor Bergquist
11-11-2012, 06:49 AM
Thanks, Steve