PDA

View Full Version : Delphinium Blossoms

Bob Miller
05-28-2012, 01:44 PM
I photographed these beauties at Longwood Gardens in Pa.
Nikon D3s
1/250 @f8
ISO 2200
180 macro
HH
All comments welcome!

John Chardine
05-28-2012, 07:02 PM
Hi Bob- I just love the light through the petals, and the resultant colour. The BG really sets off the inflorescence. The slight subject offset to the right is balanced nicely by the subtle curve at the top. What needs some work is the lower part of the image. Although it's not the focal point it's important how the subject fades away at the bottom. Here you have some here you have some OOF blooms unceremoniously cut off. As is it would take some major cloning to be rid of the offending flower but it could be done.

Allen Sparks
05-28-2012, 10:28 PM
Hi Bob, this is well composed as John mentions. I like the slight offset and the colors really pop. I might try toning down some of the top buds and see if that improves the image. well done pic regardless...

Allen

Ken Childs
05-29-2012, 04:30 PM
Bob, as already mentioned by Allen and John, the strong point of this image is the composition. I understand about what John is saying about the bottom....it's tough to know where to aim or crop when there isn't a definite edge to what you're shooting. Adding a vignette with a little extra width on the bottom might be one way to deal with this problem. My main concern is that the buds near the top aren't sharp and since they're relatively bright, my eye is drawn to them. A little more DOF when shooting would have been nice but some selective sharpening on those buds might save the day. :S3:

OvidiuCavasdan
05-30-2012, 11:08 AM
Very nice colors and good composition, the bottom doesnt bother me, but agree that toning down and sharpening the buds would improve the image.

Steve Maxson
06-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Hi Bob. Beautiful colors and nice comp - as already noted above. I would agree about trying to tone down the bright buds at the top as they are drawing my eye. Overall, this is nicely done!