PDA

View Full Version : Gemsbok Scapes

Vivaldo Damilano
05-28-2012, 12:10 PM
D3s 70-200VRII. 1/100s at F14. ISO200. My first B&W posted here, will be interesting to hear what you guys think.

Steve Canuel
05-28-2012, 12:48 PM
A great view, I especially like the look of the sky and mountains (though there are a couple of shadows areas in the mountains that are just a touch too dark for my taste) I like the transition of sky from the darker area on the right to the lighter area on the left. Also like the different textures of the scene from the wavy FG grasses, to the tree spotted plains, to the ruddy slopes of the mountains, and finally the billowy look of the clouds. Got one in color too :t3?

Rachel Hollander
05-28-2012, 12:54 PM
Vivaldo - this looks other worldly. I like it and like the conversion. Looks like it was shot in harsh light. My initial inclination was to say crop a bit from the top but after looking at it a bit more I sort of like how the clouds almost mirror the ridges and depressions of the mountains.

TFS,
Rachel

Mark Wiseman
05-28-2012, 01:27 PM
Hi Vivaldo,
This is a wonderful landscape and the gemsbuck add the necessary interest. The conversion works for me and you have done well. I like the gradual progression from the foreground to the detail in the mountains and then the darker sky.
Thank you for sharing and best wishes,
Mark.

Vivaldo Damilano
05-28-2012, 02:58 PM
Thanks for comments. Steve definitely have a color version:bg3: Rachel this was taken at 6.04pm, light was getting nice and soft.

Sid Garige
05-28-2012, 03:39 PM
Very nice animal scape Vivaldo.

Gregor Bergquist
05-28-2012, 04:04 PM
This is a very beautiful landscape picture, and it works for me both b/w and in color. For me I like it better in b/w though.

Steve Kaluski
05-28-2012, 04:28 PM
Hi Vivaldo, love the colour version and this really captivates the vastness. Might suggest pumping up the background a bit more to give it depth & form using Curves.

TFS
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
05-28-2012, 06:02 PM
While both have merit and the B&W is nicely executed, Vivaldo, it's the colour one that comes up trumps for me here. Love the array of colours and of course it makes the red sand stand out which gets lost in the monochrome.
Steve's made a good suggestion for further improvement. If anything I wish the light had hit the gemsbok a bit better (much of their bodies are shadowed) :w3

Steve Canuel
05-28-2012, 06:44 PM
Color for me! It really shows off the texture and depth of the mountains. And the shadowed parts that were too dark for me in the OP work really well with the color.

Ken Watkins
05-28-2012, 10:58 PM
Vivaldo,

It will come as no surprise that I prefer the colour version, but if you had not shown it I would still like the B & W.
For me the only "problem" is the same as Morkel's the lack of light on the Oryx, but that is relatively minor, great stuff!

Vivaldo Damilano
05-29-2012, 12:21 AM
Thanks for comments and suggestions it's appreciated:S3:

Andreas Liedmann
05-29-2012, 01:10 AM
Hi Vivaldo,
nothing very important more to say, i simply like this image!!!!
The only thing i would suggest is lighten the shadow`s of the gemsbok,bring them a bit more to life.

Cheers Andreas

Dumay de Boulle
05-29-2012, 05:03 AM
Gorgeous image. I have to say I prefer the color version.

Grady Weed
05-29-2012, 04:14 PM
Much prefer the B&W version. the color is nice to compare too, but the B&W brings it all to life and makes it look old timey. I would suggest to lighten up some of the Shadows using S/H, perhaps down to about 25, going left. But it is your vision here. And a good one indeed. Just outstanding. The only thing that would make it better is to be mine!

Stu Bowie
05-31-2012, 12:59 PM
Hi Vivaldo, when your B&W opened, it found it pleasing, and converted nicely. Scrolling down to find your colour version - well it just pops so well. Colour by far.:w3