PDA

View Full Version : A simple coot among the greens

Jack Breakfast
05-28-2012, 07:52 AM
Hello folks
Here is a simple coot from a recent good time spent. Rather than pining for the Ontario shorebirds who will never be seen by y.t. I take heart in the birds I see with regularity. This coot was captured with the Canon 7D and 70-300L at 300mm. Should I have purchased the 100-400 instead? Possibly so. I debated for ages: Which is the better walkaround lens? I live with my choice and am usually happy! Anyhow... iso400, 1/640, f8. We are looking at approximately 70% of the original. Low-angle junkies will detest the higher angle, but of course this angle provided the hotshot reflection. But the subject was more than cooperative and so as to appease my inner demons I did also get low as possible. I'm nowhere near so crazy as my beloved subject and will lean towards eye-level shots much of the time. Many pictures were taken. Did the coot do anything terribly exciting and live up to his silly simile? No, not really. A shame. But portraits will also please, as we all know. Who wouldn't want to take endless portraits of a sitting coot?
I'll welcome your comments and pokes...

Jonathan Ashton
05-28-2012, 08:23 AM
I like the picture with the reflection but i would suggest you have a strong magenta colour cast possibly from surrounding foliage reflecting in the water. you have fine detail and good exposure. Should you have bought the other lens - you seem to be suggesting just maybe. The longer reach is always handy, I have had mine for about six years now and I still like it, though it has cost me a fortune in repairs. The IS has packed up on me now but I tend to use a shutter speed to stop subject movement so I don't think it is much of much consequence really.

Jack Breakfast
05-28-2012, 08:42 AM
Thanks Jonathan, you're quite right about the magenta cast...many thanks for pointing that out. The redone image is actually a little more accurate to what I remember seeing...i only slid the magenta slider towards the green side, 10 points...is there a better way to do such? I suppose I could have selected the bird only and done the same? Many thanks...

Jonathan Ashton
05-28-2012, 09:16 AM
There are several ways to check colour casts. probably the simplest initially is to simply select Auto in ACR and then modify the levels subsequently. Another way is to use the white dropper tool in ACR and place it on the bill (not the very brightest part) or on the feathers where you would have nearly pure white or black respectively.
Another way is to use layers and an average blur.
Yet another is to make a selective color layer and then ask someone with more skill than I!!! I always forget which way the colour wheel works!!

Stu Bowie
05-28-2012, 10:13 AM
Hi Jack, great look back pose from the coot, and what a perfect reflection. Before reading Jon's comment, I too saw a magenta cast mainly on the coot. I took it into PS, selected just the coot, and desaturated the magenta channel in saturation. ( another way of doing it other than moving the magenta slider in selective colour.) I didnt see much difference, so I 'attacked' the reds in saturation and desaturated the reds. Here is my result. I have only worked on the coot.

Daniel Cadieux
05-28-2012, 08:31 PM
Going after the cooperative ones rather than the "desirables" is a great strategy, one that I employ myself. Besides, wait until the fall migration when the juvenile shorebirds show up...some you'll be able to crawl to within great photo range :-) I do like the image, and as a low angle junkie I do prefer a higher vantage point for reflections, so good on you! For me the biggest distration is the perch behind the subject...too bad it hadn't placed itself on top of it instead. Good colour correction by Stuart.

dankearl
05-28-2012, 08:39 PM
I like the repost by Stuart, and the splash and the water and reflection.
A very nice image.

Jack Breakfast
05-28-2012, 08:50 PM
Thanks so much folks, and Stuart I'd like to thank you for the whizbang repost and excellent lesson. So much to be learned on this fine forum. Truly appreciated by y.t. Coots ahoy! And Daniel, I think I have a shot where the coot is hiding the perch with his ruffled feathers, I'll have to dig that one up...

Shawn Zierman
05-29-2012, 04:05 AM
I like the colors and the quiet mood of the image. The reflection is a quality reflection and you captured it well.
Because of the reflection, I see more of a possibility for a nice vertical presentation as well....
I'm also wondering about making a slight clock wise rotation...?