PDA

View Full Version : Black Bear Portrait

Steve Uffman
05-28-2012, 12:21 AM
Tired of the sharpening drills I have been doing for a moment so here's a different post featuring Nik color efex4 work of the a big bear image from Chas's workshop.

Bear was still a bit soaked from the rain.

5dmkIII M 1/250 f/7.1 ISO 800 500m

LR4, Vertical crop, desaturated grass with target adjustment, minor selective sharpening with adjustment brush, some debris removal from fur
CS6, sized and saved for web
NIK Color efex4 Graduated ND, Brilliance and Warmth,Detail Extractor, Vignette, Pro Contrast

Ken Watkins
05-28-2012, 05:03 AM
Steve,

Let me first say on my monitor and with my eyes this looks to be totally absent of any cast problems, and it is sharp enough for me:cheers:

Great pose looks quite threatening, was he far away?

Steve Uffman
05-28-2012, 07:42 AM
:5:bg3::cheers::wave:

Ken, I have never used smileys before but this deserves a few...Whew.....Many thanks!

while I wait on my new monitor, I checked it on my IPS display on my notebook that had been calibrated. And I am played where I am pretty comfortable...NIK

The bear was coming up a slight rise and my POV was low. Ole 500 compression does make it look a bit threatening and close, heh?

Now back to the grindstone on getting this sharpening skill developed..

Andreas Liedmann
05-28-2012, 09:58 AM
Hi Steve
like this image because of that tight framing and the look of the bear.the greenery adds a nice contrast.exposure looks good to me,but i am not sure about the colors. i cannot tell you exactly ,what makes feel that.

If you post images can you please post them with an embedded color profile,because i tried to open in PS, but i got a warning "no color profile embedded".It is a lot easier to identify what is going with the colors with a attached profile.

Maybe you can reup the image with a profile .

Cheers Andreas

Steve Uffman
05-28-2012, 10:15 AM
Thanks Andreas, I need to look into the embedded color profile....curious how you get that info from an image posted here...guess I have never tried it..but good to know...

not sure why the message as I know the embedded profile is imported from the camera into LR 4 if we are talking about the same thing....I also need to check the 5dIII to see if I have a custom one set there. I know that when I worked with Chas and I was shooting the 5dII, we put a custom one in.....can't remember whether I replicated it in the new camera.

And I saved for the web in CS6....I noticed that a few things did not port over...so I will look there...or maybe you have a clue where I should look....

but the color issues you may not like are more probably the result of the Nik stuff I did..a bit unusual if you look at the filters I used....GR ND for example since the highlights on top of the bear were more dramatic than I wanted in the image. sometimes, believe or not I use that filter instead of a burn or some other trick...can't remember who showed me that trick for wildlife....Of course as you can see, the bear just had gotten rained on and then walked through water, so there are all types of reflection. Also used Nik Brilliance and warmth and Pro contrast if memory serves me right

Andreas Liedmann
05-28-2012, 10:43 AM
Just a question,why do you use that many NIK filters ?
When i save for web i convert to SRGB first ,and when i save as jpeg PS ask me if i want to embed profile. i think it is a question of preferences in PS.I think you better stick to PS instead of NIK.

Cheers Andreas

Steve Canuel
05-28-2012, 12:27 PM
Tried to stay out of the other threads on color casts, this one looks really good (sharpness and color wise). A really interesting looking bear too.

Rachel Hollander
05-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Steve - this one is definitely an improvement and I like the close crop. Looks to be a selection halo from some of the adjustments around the bear's right ear (lhs of image). I do wonder after reading all of the programs and filters you are working with, if it's just a case of too much and the various processes competing with each other. I find that the simpler the better and, of course, the more you can get right in camera, the better.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Uffman
05-28-2012, 12:54 PM
I do see the halo....I really did not spend a ton of time other than using a recipe and darkening the little background using the target adjustment....at some point I will really work on the image ...As I think I said earlier, I have some recipe favorites and this one looked pretty good to me so I went with it....most recipes are a couple of filters at most....

Steve Uffman
05-28-2012, 01:09 PM
Just a question,why do you use that many NIK filters ?
When i save for web i convert to SRGB first ,and when i save as jpeg PS ask me if i want to embed profile. i think it is a question of preferences in PS.I think you better stick to PS instead of NIK.

Cheers Andreas

I thought I had replied but don't see the post...

On the subject of Nik, I am a huge fan of Nik and have spent a great of time attending all the webinars by pros on wildlife plus a number of other Nik educational forums...As a result, I am pretty comfortable working with them..

I have recieved a number of recipes from both Nik and others. At first I thought this was one I had built per a blog that Eliz Anon did as she likes to stack various filters. But this is not that one. Anyway, I put the ones I like and use most often as a favorite and as you know, the in Color efex4, you get a thumbnail of each. This one was not one I would normally use for this purpose but I liked the thumbnail so went with it.

Normally, I use recipes that are two to three filters stacked. My base is TC at about half the defaults and white neutralizer...Actually, think Artie's newletter had that one. By I often use brillance and warmth, Reflector (useful to light the underside of birds over snow if the light is bad), darken and lighten center and detail extractor...

Mark Wiseman
05-28-2012, 01:30 PM
Hi Steve,
This is a wonderful image. I like the POV, the detail and your composition. Well done and thanks for sharing,
Mark.

Charles Glatzer
05-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Steve,

Looks good from here.

Chas

Sid Garige
05-28-2012, 04:31 PM
Steve,

Intense stare and on your face image. Comp is very well and balanced. Like Rachel said definitely an improvement.
you do need to figure out why the embedded color profile is missing.

Morkel Erasmus
05-28-2012, 06:10 PM
This does look better, Steve.

I would be careful of just sticking to a "recipe" for each and every shot. The BIGGEST learning curve in post-processing (and we are all continuously learning), is to be able to recognise WHAT the image needs, and then WHEN to fit it into the workflow so it has the optimal effect. I like using filters, but more often than not the filters do more to an image than what is necessary...now you go and stack a bunch of filter "recipes" on each other and it can only be a roadmap for a processing holocaust. I am sorry if this sounds strong - but as you yourself has said you want to grow in this area and "tame this beast", you will have to let go of some of the "recipes" you picked up along the way. Obviously not all of them are bad...it's just applying them in moderation, and IMHO learning to achieve the same result in PS without having an automated action do it for you is the best way to learn how to handle your pixels. Sorry for the rant. Just giving it to you straight up. :w3

(BTW I love Nik filters and plugins. Do I use them on each and every image? Hardly :Whoa!:)

Grady Weed
05-29-2012, 04:22 PM

I would be careful of just sticking to a "recipe" for each and every shot. The BIGGEST learning curve in post-processing (and we are all continuously learning), is to be able to recognise WHAT the image needs, and then WHEN to fit it into the workflow so it has the optimal effect. I like using filters, but more often than not the filters do more to an image than what is necessary...now you go and stack a bunch of filter "recipes" on each other and it can only be a roadmap for a processing holocaust. I am sorry if this sounds strong - but as you yourself has said you want to grow in this area and "tame this beast", you will have to let go of some of the "recipes" you picked up along the way. Obviously not all of them are bad...it's just applying them in moderation, and IMHO learning to achieve the same result in PS without having an automated action do it for you is the best way to learn how to handle your pixels. Sorry for the rant. Just giving it to you straight up. :w3

(BTW I love Nik filters and plugins. Do I use them on each and every image? Hardly :Whoa!:)

Good advice from Morkel, the red colored stuff, once again. However...this image has a lot going for it. Stepping aside from the recipe and color cast debate. I love the stare down and wet coat, it puts it over the top for me. Chas runs a good workshop! Now...just how do I afford one!

Steve Uffman
05-29-2012, 06:04 PM

No problem from the tough talk...Don't consider that a rant and I hope you don't consider this one either.. but this is my longest post but hopefully will give you a bit of perspective from my POV

When I post images, I am looking for straight talk...told someone the other day that they teach running backs to hold onto the football(US football since this is an international forum) by running the gauntlet. Makes 'em tough...Some folks I know feel like they are running a gauntlet when they post an image to any forum ...For me, I am tougher than woodpecker lips....So bring it on...I figure it is always meant to be constructive....and it will make me better!

But FYI, I only post problematic images because that gives me the greatest learning opportunity....That strategy has helped me learn a great deal .. and it goes to one of the points you make that I agree with..."recognizing WHAT the image needs and when to fit it into the workflow so it has optimal effect" was and is exactly my goal... and your second point I agree is that we all should be continuously learning.....

Now to the images I have recently posted....I knew the first image had an issue with some color cast and from this drill I have learned how to address that by 1)embedding the color profile 2) slider adjustment 3) getting a realistic monitor 4) that is calibrated monthly (I had been slack on that) 5) most folks here seem to shoot AWB and then adjust post processing if needed (1st wildlife class I took , the pro said he shoots most mammals with WB cloudy because he prefers them warm) I have made the switch 6)and so on. All fast fixes.

Of course I would be remiss if I did not speak about the color casts on the bear 2 and 3...Black bears are not totally black as you know...and if they are black (as opposed to cinnamon, brown, honey,etc.) , normally have an iridescent shine under certain conditions...Plus add water and its exacerbated ...bear 1 and 2 posts both did have color cast issues that the forum pointed out needed addressing...Now the portrait bear? well that is a different story..I know what I saw and I know the feedback that I got from those that saw the same bear....The color is fine ...even when viewed on a high priced color calibrated monitor. Still I appreciate the input on that because I know it is always intended on being constructive. I also have seen other folks images go from very good to outstanding after constructive feedback here...That is a major benefit of this forum

On sharpening, I got a great deal of feedback and lots of opinions which is what I hoped for. Now, in just a few days, I have 1) a little better idea of how much- which was one goal. 2) I have eliminated all the steps my workflow that were adding sharpening along the way. 3) I am now looking at three different workflows for sharpening to see which I like most which will be the bread and butter. 4)I have two options to pick for initial RAW sharpening of which I will pick one and turn the other off. 5) I have changed the workflow to size the image first and determine the output before final sharpening. 6) I have been in a class for most of the day to learn Smart Sharpen and Unsharpen mask. 7) spent a great deal of time dealing with the various sliders and how they impact things. 7) Spent some time on selective sharpening but I long ago understood the why on that....So for me in a few short days, my goal of getting over the hump on sharpening is near at hand...and soon it will be on to the next hump.....and I appreciate all the help and feedback giving me the push.

All that said, I for the life of me am not sure where you and a few others got that I run a recipe every time....Perhaps my words "normally" got construed as "always" but that was not how I meant it. WHEN I look at using NIK, I MAY use individual filters or I may use a recipe and even when I use a recipe, I might disable a filter or tweak it or whatever or add another..I know a lot of top folks posting on here 1)use NIK and 2)use recipes and 3) then begin their tweaks. In fact, a couple of the best on here introduced me to recipes. .... but I could never imagine, never imagine that they run everything through a recipe ...or if they do, just always leave it alone. Recipes on Nik in my way of thinking is about efficiency. You can mark several as favorites, and when the program comes up you get a quick preview of multiple recipes in a glance, pick one that looks promising and tweak...For me, my landscape recipe favorites are together, my sunset are grouped, birds and mammals...so I have an instant thumbnail running each recipe that "many" times gives me a starting point....and with recipes, you can set your own defaults...For example, my starting point on Tonal contrast is about half the default..( I think Artie's is too if I read his newsletter right") ..so if I load that recipe that is where I start....I have one for detail extractor that is at about 15% rather than the default.... And of course, when you select the recipe at YOUR defaults, you then can start tweaking...My tweaks are often toggling filters on and off in a recipe to see if they add value.....I frequently use control points to add or reduce effects to certain points in an image....Heck, you can layer a forest and making the whole thing 3 dimensional if you want...

anyway, sure I lost 99% of your paragraphs ago...but do remember, "woodpecker lips"

Steve Uffman
05-29-2012, 06:27 PM
Good advice from Morkel, the red colored stuff, once again. However...this image has a lot going for it. Stepping aside from the recipe and color cast debate. I love the stare down and wet coat, it puts it over the top for me. Chas runs a good workshop! Now...just how do I afford one!

Grady, Chas does run an excellent workshop and I have more time lined up with him. In the fall,the hump I was trying to get over was proper exposure....I can tell you that "shoot the light" discipline has me worried far less about that now as it has been in practice for quite a while....Last Spring, it was BIF and fill flash with the beamer...Kudos to Robert Otoole and Robert Amorouso for getting me over the hump there...I am very confident about BIF as it so routine now..That was proven this April when I had the opportunity to go to Robert's Eagle Workshop and had a very high keeper rate on BIF - which were properly exposed as well. (one day I will post a few ) Hilary Hann and others here I have inspired me to do more landscapes...Roger, Steve, William, Art, Jay and too many to mention have helped so much in the past year....Recent friend Sid, has been a super big help and has offered more to help me do some of things that you can only learn by grinding through...and I have engaged with many new folks in just the last week that have proven real assets.....BPN is a real service to folks like me....So the beat goes on.....just trying to improve a little bit every day..

and One day, hopefully I can payback to next newcomer...

Andreas Liedmann
05-30-2012, 03:45 AM
Hey Steve,
long journey to follow you,difficult for me even more because of not native english speaking.Agree with most of the stuff you stated.

The simplest way to avoid "color problems" in here is to embed a color profile.I opened the image in PS ,and i see hardly any "color problems".Easy way to go and avoid useless color discussions.But i have to say ,that is at first your job! To give us an image with proper bases.Just a thought.

Cheers Andreas

Steve Uffman
05-30-2012, 04:02 AM
[QUOTE=Andreas Liedmann;805475]Hey Steve,
long journey to follow you,difficult for me even more because of not native english speaking.Agree with most of the stuff you stated.

The simplest way to avoid "color problems" in here is to embed a color profile.I opened the image in PS ,and i see hardly any "color problems".Easy way to go and avoid useless color discussions.But i have to say ,that is at first your job! To give us an image with proper bases.Just a thought.

Cheers Andreas[/QUOTE

agree with embedding a color profile..was an "oops" or mistake on my part in that while I actually had it set up to embed on two machines, I did not on the most important-my desktop...sorry