PDA

View Full Version : Tree frog

Hazel Grant
05-27-2012, 03:02 PM
A little visitor came to our yard today....the start of my summer closeups. D40x, f5.6, 1/1600, 800iso, 300mm. Tamron lens set at macro, hand held.

Bob Miller
05-27-2012, 08:37 PM
Hi Hazel...cute little guy! You certainly have good focus on the eye but I think I would have dialed back the shutterspeed for some more DOF. I like your composition with that curling leaf in the front. You might also consider a round of noise reduction. Still....very nice image as is

Jonathan Ashton
05-28-2012, 08:46 AM
Very nice shot, shallow DOF can look very good in frogs especially when the fall off is immediate. Here you have an intermediate aperture and for a shot taken at this angle I would suggest a wider aperture or conversely a small one to get maximum DOF. Technically speaking I feel this image falls between two stools. If at all possible I would use a tripod or a monopod or even a garden cane held against the camera body and lens.

Ken Childs
05-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Hazel, Bob said pretty much exactly what I would have so there's no reason to repeat any of it. The only other change I can suggest would be to do some work on the eye, just to make it really grab the viewer's attention. A little boost in contrast and/or some extra sharpening can make a big difference. :S3:

OvidiuCavasdan
05-30-2012, 10:56 AM
Good suggestions above, would have liked to see less space on right and more on left.

Steve Maxson
06-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Hi Hazel. These little tree frogs make excellent photo subjects and this one posed nicely for you. You already have some very good suggestions to consider. You might also have reduced ISO to 400 which would still give you adequate ss, but would have cut down on the background noise. Some selective nr in post should help to clean that up. :S3: