Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/30
Av( Aperture Value ) 13.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 100
Lens EF180mm f/3.5L Macro USM
AF Mode AI Servo AF

Cockchaffers were once a common beetle and were referred to as May Bugs. They can only just about fly and when in flight they seem to hover along rather like little helicopters. I found this little guy on the iris at the side of my pond, just couldn't believe my luck.

All C & C welcome.

Jim Bridges
05-27-2012, 09:23 AM
What a beautiful creature and excellent image of it too...the detail is amazing! Looks like it has antler's. I've never heard of this bug before now and really enjoyed seeing it, Jon! We have June bugs here in Texas, but nothing like this.:S3:

Hazel Grant
05-27-2012, 03:06 PM
I'd never heard of it either.. both beautiful and would be very scary if very large:) Excellent focus and detail. Looks like he's saying---Hey, you lookin at me?

Jonathan Ashton
05-28-2012, 03:39 AM
Jim Hazel glad you like him he does have a certain appeal doesn't he? As you might guess I took dozens of shots, I will post another one later where he definitely does look like he was waving to me.

Ken Childs
05-29-2012, 03:58 PM
This is a cool beetle and those antennae are awesome! I had to look this one up and I found that it has a lot of very interesting common names such as may bug, mitchamador, billy witch, and spang beetle.

You got good light on this and peek-a-boo pose is really nice. If I were to change anything, I might take a small slice off the right and a sliver off the top to get the bug away from the center.

OvidiuCavasdan
05-30-2012, 10:49 AM
Pose and details are very nice, also a great BG. The iris bud makes an excellent "perch". Very well done.