PDA

View Full Version : Just a Kudu

Morkel Erasmus
05-27-2012, 09:01 AM
Time to break the cycle of predators being posted?? :w3

So often we drive up to a waterhole or into a clearing, glance around for a minute, and then rush off to ensure we are not missing the action that is surely taking place just around the next bend...:t3
I know I do, too much for my own good when on safari!

In this case I was driving along a quiet dirt road early one morning after just entering the Kruger National Park (I had left home at 02h30 to reach the gate at first light).
The road went into a drainage channel through an offshoot of the Sabie river, and it was very quiet. I liked the scene, and the freshness of the morning light and sounds, so I killed the engine right in the middle of the riverbed. I sat for about 5 minutes, when a herd of Kudu appeared (as they usually do - the famed "grey ghost of the bush") out of nowhere and stepped into the riverbed. This cow was first, and she was fully aware of my presence.

Techs:
Nikon D3s with Nikkor 500mm f4 VR-II
f5.6 @ 1/1000 SS @ ISO-640

Ken Watkins
05-27-2012, 09:48 AM
Morkel,

I am in full support of more ordinary animals, both here and everywhere else. There is far too much emphasis on predators, although I would never complain about more Cheetah and Leopard.

This is great and shows a very "normal" but beautiful scene to full potential, she looks a little pregnant?

Steve Kaluski
05-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Time to break the cycle of predators being posted?? It may give the advantage for IOTW, who knows.

As an image Morkel it doesn't really grab me, which is very unusual, but it is more an environment/habitat based image I guess. Is it the slight heat haze that gives the BKG that 'painted' look & feel? Wonder about adding some black in the Reds, dropping the Yellow in the yellow channel, WDYT?

TFS
Steve

Harshad Barve
05-27-2012, 10:50 AM
I am in full support of more ordinary animals, both here and everywhere else. There is far too much emphasis on predators, although I would never complain about more Cheetah and Leopard.

IMHO getting better pics of predators is far difficult than getting good pics of ORDINARY animals ,
Morkel , I will comment of pic soon

Andreas Liedmann
05-27-2012, 12:52 PM
Hi Morkel,
lovely image presenting the Kudu in alert ? pose in landscape.Good comp,beautiful colors ,contrast,exposure as it should be .Wold not change a thing.:5

Like to see more animal in landscape shots in beautiful light.So keep posting them.

Cheers Andreas

Dumay de Boulle
05-27-2012, 01:41 PM
Definite distinct 3D and great colors (Look spot on to me). I like the feel of the low angle and comp.

Hilary Hann
05-27-2012, 07:06 PM
Morkel, I absolutely love this, must be my love of landscapes which makes this so appealing. I like the softly diagonal lines through the green background and the placement and pose of the kudu.

Rachel Hollander
05-27-2012, 07:38 PM
Morkel - I too like the wide look here and agree with Dumay that it has a 3D feel to it.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Canuel
05-28-2012, 12:33 PM
Nice animalscape Morkel. I like the painting like quality of the hazy BG and how the color of the Kudu matches the sand and rises up to break into the green BG.

Mark Wiseman
05-28-2012, 01:34 PM
Hi Morkel,
I like the image for its simplicity and the fact that you are able to see the animal in it's environment. The positioning of the kudu is perfect and leads to a very tranquil image.
Thanks for sharing and best wishes,
Mark.

Vivaldo Damilano
05-28-2012, 02:47 PM
Great shot Morkel, somehow the kudu in it enviroment work for me, love it:cheers:

Sid Garige
05-28-2012, 04:39 PM
Excellent image Morkel. Love the habitat and excellent colors.

Morkel Erasmus
05-28-2012, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the kind feedback, everyone...

Steve - might be heat haze, although this was about 30 minutes after sunrise and it wasn't particularly hot...:e3
Will play around with those channels, haven't had time to revisit this one yet!

Steve Canuel
05-28-2012, 06:45 PM
Kudu in the remnants of the morning mist then :S3:!