PDA

View Full Version : Windy catch

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
05-25-2012, 05:44 PM
Greetings. On a very windy day from the cement boat pier... Aptos, CA.

D4 300f/2.8 + TC20EIII (600mm) 1/4000 at f/8 +0.33EV ISO3200 HH
pp lifted the blacks (dual conversion & merge, curves), nr, Lab curves for color & tone. Probably underexposed a stop for the blacks. Cropped about 30% off both dimensions.

Practicing bif off the cormorants roosting on the cement boat (a ship actually made of cement that sits off shore as a base for a pier). AF not possible with my D3 + 300f/2.8 + TC20EIII. But the D4 was able to pick up the dark fast moving birds against the choppy sea background.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Stu Bowie
05-26-2012, 12:28 AM
Hi Michael, good banking angle that shows off the dorsal view very well. You have exposed the blacks nicely, overall sharp, and not sure what his catch is - seaweed - but adds interest. Comp wise, as he's flying over the sea, I do like the space you have given him, but you could still come in from the left.

Randy Stout
05-30-2012, 07:10 AM
Michael:

Good to see what the D4 can do as far as focusing at f/8 on a low contrast bird.

Nice dorsal view. I do think you have brought up the blacks a bit too much. He looks washed out a bit. Perhaps split the difference between the original and this version.

Cheers

Randy