PDA

View Full Version : Stalking mode

Steve Kaluski
05-25-2012, 09:49 AM
This female leopard suddenly realised there was a meal ticket just walking by, a small Impala. She had been playing with the two cubs in the shade of some dense bush, hence the slightly high ISO. Would like to have had more below, but was trying something new to get a lower POV, cheers Grant. :wave:Late afternoon around 4.30pm, so even then the light was harsh, but you make the most of what you have.

Steve
Subject: Leopard in stalking mode (Panthera pardus)
Camera: Canon MKIV
Lens: 500f/4
Exposure: 1/4000s at f/5.6 ISO800 0 stop compensation
Crop: Slight crop (original capture horizontal)

Ken Watkins
05-25-2012, 10:30 AM
Given the not inconsiderable clipping of the legs and the impression of something missing, I would consider a crop based on the head alone if IQ allows.

Clearly whatever you were doing to get a lower POV did not work here, what was it?

Pity you did not get her further away, strange that the light was still harsh at that time of day, when was sunset when you were there?

Andreas Liedmann
05-25-2012, 01:21 PM
Hi Master LOL,
So what to say,i like this image because of colors,contrast,comp (even with only virtual feet),the detail ,the sharpness well done Steve.The intense look out of the frame makes it to me.The only nit is from my pov ,that the tail is kind of disturbing .Nothing major, but the more i look ,the more i am thinking it should be not there. But nothing you can do about. I would love to see a leopard that close and relaxed.I have only images that i cannot present here.

Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
05-25-2012, 01:29 PM
Hi Andreas, the body is slightly curved to the left with the tail (counter balance) down and the time twitching with anticipation, but I know what you mean. :w3 BTW did you get my PM?

cheers
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
05-25-2012, 01:43 PM
Yop,got it and replied.

Rachel Hollander
05-25-2012, 03:08 PM
Steve - agree with your self-assessment of wishing for a tad more space below but I like the stalking pose, curved body and your usual high IQ. I'm somewhat perplexed by Ken's comment on the pov because this does feel as if you are at an equal level with the leopard rather than shooting from a vehicle above it. Well done!

TFS,
Rachel

Ken Watkins
05-25-2012, 11:00 PM
Rachel,

As you have asked I will explain, the POV is still looking down in my eyes, not that this particularly worries me, but I know it worries many.

The opportunities to get level or slightly below are few and far between.

Shooting from further way decreases the look down angle and may also have given a better tail position and all of the legs.:w3

I would have liked to know the circumstances that lead up to this, so I will wait with patience.

Steve Uffman
05-26-2012, 04:01 PM
To me and as Steve says the lion is in the Stalking mode. With the position of rump to the head, I would say she is just moving into the stalking position they take when they lower their body to the ground to avoid being seen-particularly with the low grass. Her right leg is bent at the elbow (left as you peer at the image) . If true, the virtual feet issue would not be a problem as they would be bent forward while she is resting on her elbows. Of course the POV is low already but if the leopard is going to the ground, the slight angle is unavoidable IMO. Overall I like the image quite a bit.

I was a bit surprised that no one commented that the grass across the face was distracting....I for one appreciate the more natural image as this one is.

Harshad Barve
05-27-2012, 07:26 AM
Steve
Given this image , I may go for more tight image , Liked it lot , VWD
TFS

Morkel Erasmus
05-27-2012, 05:21 PM
Cracking IQ here Steve. I find myself wishing for more space below, but concede that it does work as posted (Harshad's idea of tighter might be tempting!) :t3
Grass around the face not distracting IMHO.
Re the tail - in an ideal world I do wish it was extended a bit further to the LHS so we could see more of it. :S3:

Hilary Hann
05-27-2012, 07:00 PM
Steve, I really think this is a fantastic image, love the tension in the cat and the IQ is superb. Certainly looks like a nice low POV shown, and if you are following some of Grant's excellent advice regarding this, then you will reap the rewards. The tail doesn't worry me over much, it is what it is.

Vivaldo Damilano
05-29-2012, 12:31 AM
Steve all is been said, lovely closeup of this leopard. The tail is slightly distracting IMO, may have clone it out as it intersects with his head and LHS ear. However it would be very difficult task considering that the cats whiskers :w3

Steve Canuel
05-29-2012, 09:10 PM
Hi Steve,
Excellent IQ (as always) and I like the potential prey focused look and crouched pose. Like you and others, wish for a touch more at the bottom and also for the tail to be behind the body. Grasses in the face mirror the whiskers, do not bother me, and were only noticed after looking at this for a third time.

Harshad Barve
06-25-2012, 11:05 AM
too tight , do not work for me
TFS