PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Screech Owl.

Karl Egressy
05-25-2012, 08:48 AM
I have unfortunately never seen this family in the cavity.
By the time I got to know about them, the owlets were fledged (all five of them).
I was late by one day only which bothered me a bit, as it was my fault,
but then with the help of some nice people we located them in the little forest nearby.
(they did)
Thanks for coming.

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Manual Exposure
Tv 1/320
Av 5.6
ISO 1600
EF500mm f/4L IS USM

Bob Malbon
05-25-2012, 10:34 AM
WOW those eyes! Something drawing my eyes to the left tuft - did you clone out something in that area?

Karl Egressy
05-25-2012, 11:31 AM
WOW those eyes! Something drawing my eyes to the left tuft - did you clone out something in that area?

Hi Bob,

I just remembered.
I cloned out a skinny branch going through in front of the bird.
You might talk about that and not the funny spot on the tree trunk.
The tree trunk has a funny spot as well that I did not clone out is it seems natural.

gail bisson
05-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Hi Karl,
Nice find!I would love to see one in real life.
I see a magenta cast and I feel the bird is over sharpened.
Gail

Bill Dix
05-25-2012, 12:55 PM
Nice and sharp on the owl, and great stare. Good job on the cloning. The tip of the bird's left ear seems to be missing - maybe that's where you cloned the stick, or its just bent over. In any case, nice capture.

Karl Egressy
05-25-2012, 01:25 PM
Nice and sharp on the owl, and great stare. Good job on the cloning. The tip of the bird's left ear seems to be missing - maybe that's where you cloned the stick, or its just bent over. In any case, nice capture.

Thanks Bill.

Here is the jpeg version of the original. ( I shoot RAW+jepeg)

Karl Egressy
05-25-2012, 01:31 PM
Hi Karl,
Nice find!I would love to see one in real life.
I see a magenta cast and I feel the bird is over sharpened.
Gail

Thanks Gail.

I actually started using more sharpening for the sake of BPN members.
Someone will always find it too sharp or not sharp enough, or too dark or too bright.
I appriceate all the comments and try to learn from them but I'll never be able to please everybody all the time, so I just try to have fun.
Do you remeber the hat story?:bg3:

Bill Dix
05-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Karl, I see what you mean. The tip of his ear must be folded down, and there's a spot on the tree right behind where I expected to see the ear tip.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
05-25-2012, 05:28 PM
I was drawn to the funny spot on the tree that was normal. Soo Now I will stop looking there :) I love the twinkle in the eyes. That's a cool perch he decided to sit on as well and I like your choice of crop

Daniel Cadieux
05-25-2012, 05:30 PM
The image on pane #6 answers a question I had, which was: could you have moved left to minimize the perch obstructing the owl? (no!) You did a commendable job removing that stick in post. Great looking bird...pity you were a day late for the fledglings but this is a beautiful consolation prize.

Kaustubh Deshpande
05-25-2012, 06:03 PM
Karl, great clone job. would not have guessed. loved the details. Good call on f-stop to blur that trunk. loved it a lot.

Ofer Levy
05-26-2012, 12:03 AM
Nice image. The branch is a bit dominant but still nice.

rajojomanik
05-26-2012, 05:32 PM
Glad you found them Karl.

Just like you I was going to see it yesterday but was warned by Mike V that the Owlets have flegled so I didn't bother to make the long commute. Oh well, maybe next year.

arash_hazeghi
05-26-2012, 08:57 PM
Very nice owl! good processing too :)

Colin Knight
05-27-2012, 01:08 AM
Sweet job with that cloning! =) Great habitat. I love how the bird is looking away. It's different, refreshing. The good news is they often reuse their nesting sites....so watch out for next time.