Av( Aperture Value ) 16.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation -2/3
ISO Speed 100
Lens EF180mm f/3.5L Macro USM
White Balance Mode Auto
AF Mode AI Servo AF
Color Space Adobe RGB

Every year I go out early to try to capture an image of one of these little gems when they are covered in dew. On this morning I found one and there was a lot of dew about - but not a drop on the subject! ......One day. The image was taken at 90 degrees to what might be imagined, the butterfly was at 180 degrees to the ground so I had to position the camera as near as possible directly above the butterfly.
All C & C welcome.

Bob Miller
05-25-2012, 10:17 PM
Hi Jon....I think you pulled this off nicely even though I wish there were more of the wings in focus. If it were mine I think I would try to bring out some detail in that perch and clone out the bright spot in the URC

Simon Wantling
05-26-2012, 11:43 AM
Nice example of Common Blue. Background really sets it off.

Jim Bridges
05-27-2012, 09:27 AM
I really like seeing these little butterflies and this one is a pleasure to see! Thanks for posting this beauty!

Ken Childs
05-29-2012, 03:31 PM
Hey Jon, it's a bright little butterfly and the dark BG sets it off nicely! To me it feels like there is too much space above the 'fly so you might consider cropping off about ½ of the empty space above the top of the wings. There is a little falloff of sharpness on the wings so some selective sharpening on the upper third of the wings may be in order. I see 4 or 5 dust/sensor spots in the lower ½ of the shot that need to be removed. All in all, it's a good shot and a few simple fixes should make it look even better.

Steve Maxson
05-29-2012, 07:15 PM
Hi Jonathan. Excellent sharpness around the head, antennae, and body! Bob and Ken have covered the rest of my thoughts so I won't repeat. A few tweaks will make this one really shine! :S3: