PDA

View Full Version : Loon with Lunch

Grady Weed
04-16-2008, 10:10 AM
This parent loom was catching lunch for the chicks. I caught this frame and one with the same loon feeding it to the chicks mouth to mouth. I will post that tomorrow.

Canon EOS 20D, Shooting Date/Time 7/5/2006 07:32:27, Shutter Speed 1/100Sec. Av(Aperture Value) F8.0, Evaluative metering, Exposure Compensation -1, ISO 200, Lens: 100-400mm, Focal Length 400.0 mm, Flash Off, White Balance Auto, AI Servo AF. Cropped for a 11x17.

I had just began to explore AV mode and dialing in my exposure. James Shadle was encouraging me to explore something other than auto. I was in my canoe with my wife steering, lord bless her for all of my tense moments back then and todays present ones. I was trying to pay attention to the background, cropping in frame, etc. With the 5D and the 100-400, slow shutter speeds and highly active birds, it was difficult to say the least. I am somewhat satisfied with the results here. I am keeping it till better comes along. This year with the MK2n and the 300 2.8 with or without the 2x...look out loons. I can't wait till ice out!

ADDED: I no longer own the 20D. I use only a 5d and MK2n. The room to use above is sticky, so the only choice left is below.

Julie Kenward
04-16-2008, 11:22 AM
I love this! What a great catch. One suggestion might be to darken that BG a bit...I find my eye being pulled past the bird to the lighter water.

Daniel Cadieux
04-16-2008, 11:28 AM
I would personally prefer less room below and a bit more above. Don't be afraid to bump up the ISO...the 20D handles the higher ISOs very well (at least up to 800) and you will give yourself more shutter speeds.

Steve Maxson
04-16-2008, 01:36 PM
Nice action captured, Grady and a good view of the crayfish. The large catchlight pretty well covers the pupil and gives the eye a strange out-of-focus look. This could be fixed in PS, if you are so inclined. The whites on the breast look burned on my monitor - exposure is tricky with these birds. I'll be looking for tomorrow's post.

Maxis Gamez
04-16-2008, 04:15 PM
Hello Grady,

Very nice low angle. There is a lot of dead space in the FG. I also think the horizon needs to be fix. The meal is a nice plus!.

Keep them coming!

Grady Weed
04-16-2008, 04:44 PM
Based on suggestions, here is a new version.