PDA

View Full Version : Winter's Worst...and then some

Grady Weed
04-16-2008, 09:58 AM
It is really hard to describe what bone chilling cold is. It must be experienced to understand your so cold you can't even think. The fury of the waves and the howling winds combined with the sub freezing temperatures can almost paralyze you. Personally I love weather like this to photograph in. You have control the urge to fly like a bird amongest the storm's energy. I was trying to capture the dramatic power of the ocean and winter with the lighthouse as the beacon of hope for the weary sailor. Let me know what you think.

Canon EOS 5D, Shooting Date/Time 2/14/2007 13:49:08, Shutter Speed 1/25Sec. Av(Aperture Value) F22, Evaluative metering, Exposure Compensation 0, ISO 100, Lens: EF28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, Focal Length 38.0 mm, RAW, Flash Off, White Balance Cloudy. Hand held while standing out on the rocks over the fence at the edge of the cliff face.

Roman Kurywczak
04-16-2008, 11:51 AM
Hi Grady,
The comp in this one is my favorite. Like the mood and the power of the storm also. Debating getting rid of rock protruding into middle frame right. Overall I really like it!
Roman

Rich Ikerd
04-16-2008, 02:18 PM
Superb image to capture both the power of the ocean and old man Winter. I can almost feel the cold radiating from my screen.:)

Harold Davis
04-16-2008, 02:45 PM
temperature inside my house just dropped about fifteen degrees!!! that is a great capture. i like it alot.

Gayle Clement
04-16-2008, 05:48 PM
I love this, Grady. It would make a heck of a black and white.

Stephen Stephen
04-16-2008, 07:23 PM
Very nice Grady. This image really reminds people how lonely and isolated a lighthouse keeper's life must have been.

Robert Amoruso
04-17-2008, 06:47 AM
I like that you included more of the FG in this one Grady. I lke Roman's idea on that protruding rock and Gayle's idea to try a B&W version.

I recommend local contrast enhancement. It does change the tone of the image and may not be what you want however. Your choice.