PDA

View Full Version : Lightbox Spider

Maureen Allen
05-24-2012, 08:21 PM
This is my first post in this forum.

I don't know what type of spider this is. It's quite small and there are many of them in my Central FL yard.

Nikon D3s
105mm f/2.8 @ 105mm
1/200
Nikon sb900, two sb-r200
Lightbox (homemade)

I'm new to this so I would very much appreciate any feedback.

Jim Bridges
05-25-2012, 08:48 AM
A Leucauge venusta I believe... Long jawed orb weaver and this is as nice a image as I've ever seen of one! I see them in the woods at Brazos Bend SP during the summer months. A fantastic first post!

Hazel Grant
05-25-2012, 10:06 AM
Yes! You've inspired me to get out my new lens and try to learn more about macro. Good work!

OvidiuCavasdan
05-27-2012, 08:53 AM
Welcome to Macro Forum!
Very nice colors on this spider and a good pose. Good sharpness on most of the spider, would have been even better to have the front legs in focus and not overlapping. Good work with your homemade lightbox. Nice image.

Maureen Allen
05-27-2012, 04:30 PM
Thank you for the comments

Welcome to Macro Forum!
Very nice colors on this spider and a good pose. Good sharpness on most of the spider, would have been even better to have the front legs in focus and not overlapping. Good work with your homemade lightbox. Nice image.

Ovidiu, thank you for your suggestions. I will try again :S3:

Ken Childs
05-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Welcome, Maureen! This is an excellent first post for this forum! Ovidiu covered my thoughts on the critique....it's hard to get a shot of something like this with the legs in a perfect position. I don't know what aperture setting you used or how much this was cropped but moving further away and cropping more can usually squeeze out a little more DOF. I have an approximately 8 inch square piece of white foam board that I place the subject on so I can rotate it or move it around to try for better angles. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. :S3:

Steve Maxson
05-28-2012, 12:55 PM
Hi Maureen and welcome to the Macro forum! You have an excellent first post and have already received some good suggestions above. The only thing I would add is that there are a few little spots (debris or sensor dust spots) on the white background that could easily be cleaned up - that's the first thing I do when processing a light box image. :S3: Overall, this is very nicely done and I hope to see more of these!

Maureen Allen
05-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Thanks so much for the suggestions. :S3: