PDA

View Full Version : Night Stalker

Ken Watkins
05-24-2012, 05:27 AM
We found this young Leopard on our way back to camp on New Years Eve.

Taken in Kwando concession Northern Botswana

Lit by spotlight

EOS 1D MK IV

500mm F4 hand-held

F5.6, ISO 1600, 1/320, EV -1.67

Russell Johnson
05-24-2012, 07:29 AM
Great sharp portrait and use of the flash, personally I would prefer a more eye level perspective.

Andreas Liedmann
05-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Hi Ken,
i am not a friend of night photography,therefore i think you captured an acceptable portrait of a beautiful animal.What kind of spotlight did you use,to get this SS and ISO settings??
The techs look ok here!!
Cheers Andreas

Rachel Hollander
05-24-2012, 07:52 PM
Ken - good detail and sharpness with spot. I might be tempted to go darker with the bg.

TFS,
Rachel

Ken Watkins
05-24-2012, 11:04 PM
Russell,

I have to confess to not being in the habit of getting out of vehicles unless I can see what is going on, not likely in the dark:w3. I heard one of the tourists on another arriving vehicle saying īt is a Lion", so you never know:bg3:
""
Andreas,

Like you I am not a fan of night photography, I was trying it out, and I like to think that spotlights are less disturbing than flash. Personally I prefer to be back in the bar when it is dark:bg3:

Dumay de Boulle
05-25-2012, 06:09 AM
Lovely look on the face of the leopard...I tried a different crop with a slight levels adjustment...Let me know what you think

Ken Watkins
05-25-2012, 06:34 AM
Dumay,

Thanks for your comment, I tried a closer crop and preferred a bit more walk into space, but this still looks good,

Harshad Barve
05-25-2012, 07:00 AM
excellent image Ken , liked the details and pose
TFS

Russell Johnson
05-25-2012, 09:16 AM
I have to confess to not being in the habit of getting out of vehicles unless I can see what is going on, not likely in the dark:w3. I heard one of the tourists on another arriving vehicle saying īt is a Lion", so you never know:bg3:

Ken

It is not a case of getting out of the vehicle, but either positioning yourself in the vehicle to lower your shooting angle, for example, sitting on the floor, or positioning the vehicle to achieve the same perspective, eg in a slight depression or slightly further from your subject.

Ken Watkins
05-25-2012, 09:48 AM
Ken

It is not a case of getting out of the vehicle, but either positioning yourself in the vehicle to lower your shooting angle, for example, sitting on the floor, or positioning the vehicle to achieve the same perspective, eg in a slight depression or slightly further from your subject.

Yes I know that I was laying on the floor. I am quite sure that you are aware that repositioning the vehicle is hardly ever an option especially with a sighting of this nature. The Leopard got up and walked away it lasted less than 30 seconds before disappearing into bushes

Morkel Erasmus
05-25-2012, 06:10 PM
I think it turned out okay here Ken...exposure looks good as does detail.
I like Dumay's comp and tones/contrast a bit more than the OP...