PDA

View Full Version : Beach Stone-curlew (Esacus magnirostris) Soldiers Point NSW

Rod Warnock
05-23-2012, 11:10 PM
Beach Stone-curlew (Esacus magnirostris) Soldiers Point NSW Australia
Canon EOS 7D Lens 400mm L USM 5.6 ISO400 F7.11/2500 available light 21 May 2012 2.25pm
Low tide is the name of the game with this species but more important was the knowledge of these birds provided by Trevor Murray so willingly. This fella was by passing this crabby old man to get to some emerging soldier crabs a few metres further along to the left. Me? I was trying to say you have just stepped over one !!! I was delighted to get images of this species as I had previously tried at most likely spots from Daintree in Far North Queensland then south to here in New South Wales without even seeing one. Birds in Backyards has a fact sheet on this endangered species along with a distribution map at : http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/species/Esacus-magnirostris . Soldiers Point is near the southern limits of the eastern Australian distribution. What is pleasing that a large almost fully grown young was with its parents in this beautiful suburban area but of course human encroachment, cats and dogs are the main cause for the endangered status.
Thanks for viewing
Best regards
Rod Warnock

christopher galeski
05-24-2012, 02:32 AM
nice one Rod,nice detail and light,like the habitat.

Ofer Levy
05-24-2012, 05:12 AM
I like the dynamic pose, sharpness and detail! Such lovely birds and a beautiful place. Looking forward to visit them again soon...

Frank Schauf
05-25-2012, 12:18 AM
Really great pose.:S3:

arash_hazeghi
05-25-2012, 02:30 AM
very nice pose and details! handsome specie!