PDA

View Full Version : Blue Wildebeest

Andreas Liedmann
05-23-2012, 03:04 PM

Hi and hello,
Dumay with his excellent post of a Nyala inspired me to try a different approach in PP.So please look carefully for the techs and make a statement.
Picture taken in Etosha at noon.

EOS 1D IV
500 IS L
Window bracket

f8 /1/640 sec / ISO 200 full frame

C&C most welcome TOO SHARP??

Cheers Andreas

Harshad Barve
05-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Excellent image of most dumb animal
TFS

Ken Watkins
05-23-2012, 11:18 PM
Andreas,

Knowing what is normally like in Etosha at noon (quiet harsh light:w3) then this seems absolutely normal to me.
Nice portrait of a very difficult animal to capture decently, I am sure that some would suggest toning the face down a bit but it is OK for me certainly not too sharp either for web presentation.
Nice bits of typical Etosha mud as well.

Dumay de Boulle
05-24-2012, 01:12 AM
I think it looks great, the detail looks good and may to your eye seem slightly over-sharp but thats probably due to the mud on the fur. Great colors, BG and you did very well to get an interesting of animal notoriously difficuilt to get a good image of.

gail bisson
05-24-2012, 05:24 AM
Looks good to me. I might brighten the eye a bit to make it a bit more noticeable. I like your techs and don't find it oversharpened,
Gail

Steve Kaluski
05-24-2012, 05:55 AM
Hi Andreas, I like the feeling to this, as the caked on mud gives some nice textures to the image and having such a simplified BKG help to separate the subject nicely.

As you know I'm off shooting again so I do need to look at colour as that is pretty spot on, but I wonder if you could coax out a tad more detail, especially in the horns, neck, bridge of the nose and the matted mud giving a bit more definition. The eye looks good to me, as is, the sharpening. Personally I know you have the palette of tools in your Workflow, plus some new ones, but based on the previous, use the new ones sparingly, if unclear I'll drop you a PM to explain. I've not added anything, just tried to extract a tad more detail from the OP via PS, perhaps somewhere between the two, just a thought?

All the best.
TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
05-24-2012, 01:59 PM
Hello to all you people who commented on this portrait,thank you for stopping and watching, and the most important " the critiques".

Appreciate your work.

Cheers Andreas

Rachel Hollander
05-24-2012, 07:43 PM
Andreas - not often we see a close up of a wildebeast. Nicely done and the dirt adds an element. Good sharpness and detail (which Steve has brought out even more in his rp) and you handled the harsh light well.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
05-25-2012, 06:23 PM
I like the side-on profile here Andreas. Lovely detail and texture due to the mud. Harsh light well handled.
I felt like this could make a decent monochrome...lots of tones here to work with.
WDYT?

:e3:bg3:

Andreas Liedmann
05-25-2012, 10:21 PM
Hi Morkel ,
i like your attempt.But if you want to see it in monochrome-you -have to develop it.Sometimes i like BW images in nature photography,but mostly not.So the result is that i do not look in BW,and i have no skills to work on images without color.I felt all the time i am working on a lum mask when i tried to work on a BW image.

But anyway thank you all for comment
Cheers Andreas