PDA

View Full Version : Theme In the Mood

Bill Dix
05-23-2012, 02:39 PM
Venice Rookery in January. I was pleased to get a chance to see the Herons' stick-trading and skypointing behavior, although this is no match for that exquisite post of Marina's recently. Amazing how they can extend their plumage. Almost full-frame.

D7000, 500f4, ISO 640, 1/2000s @ f/8, -0.3 EV, tripod

Grace Scalzo
05-23-2012, 02:42 PM
Good job framing this, Bill, and excellent behavior captured. Love the space at the top. I don't like images that are oversharpened, but in this case, I feel like her face only could use one more light pass of usm.

Jonathan Ashton
05-23-2012, 04:14 PM
Very nice shot indeed, good DOF, I don't think it is in any way over exposed but I would suggest a tad less brightness may improve detail and contrast.

gail bisson
05-23-2012, 05:33 PM
This is really nice Bill. I like the position of both birds and the clear view of both of them Comp is very good. Good exposure as well. Maybe add a bit of blacks to the neutrals in CS in selective color by +1 to add a bit of pop,
Gail

Daniel Cadieux
05-23-2012, 06:46 PM
Beautiful scene, sharp, great poses, and excellent composition. I personally find it a touch bright, and a bit too "cool" blue overall. Here I reduced the midtones just a tad, and added 8 points of yellows and reds in "Color Balance".

Bill Dix
05-23-2012, 07:01 PM
Thanks, everyone, for the comments. And especially Daniel for taking the time to tweak it. It's a noticeable improvement, greatly appreciated.

christopher galeski
05-24-2012, 02:51 AM
good imageBill,like the pose and detail,Daniel's repost has improved it .well done.

Marina Scarr
05-24-2012, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the kind words on my GBH, Bill. I like the interaction/behavior of this photo very much. Daniel's fix addressed the slight color issue and brightness I was seeing. One of the reasons I feel this image works is b/c you can see the one eye on the heron with his head extended.

Kaustubh Deshpande
05-25-2012, 05:24 PM
agree with Marina. view of that eye is really critical here. You got that along with the excellent head position of the other heron. Excellent shot all around.