Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/1000
Av( Aperture Value ) 7.1
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation -1
ISO Speed 400
Lens EF500mm f/4L IS USM
AF Mode AI Servo AF
AF area select mode Manual selection

This is one of a pair whom I think had to restart a nest after all the rain we had. I liked the pose here, she was just doing a little housework, no eggs had been laid in this nest.
I will be going back tomorrow to see what the latest developments are.
All C & C welcome.

Colin Knight
05-22-2012, 04:56 PM
Love the low angle! Nice head position and pose. Great habitat too. All around a great shot. Are the whites on the breast blown? I'm on a work monitor so I can't be sure.

Kaustubh Deshpande
05-22-2012, 05:40 PM
I liked the low angle, pose, BG and the placement of the subject. Details look good as well. Am not a fan of this light angle though....but I can see why you chose this spot to photograph. A cloudy day might be better at this spot.

gail bisson
05-22-2012, 07:43 PM
What a wonderful opportunity you are having with these grebes. I really like the raised foot and the curved neck. Great low angle.
The light is quite bright and the whites are blown on the shoulder unfortunately. I would try to recover them with a linear burn or you could clone in some feathers from the belly ( if not against your code).
I would also clone out the bright white drop under the beak.
I find the crest shape very interesting as I have never seen this bird IRL.
I hope you show us more from this pair,
Gail

Satish Ranadive
05-23-2012, 12:25 AM
Marvelous image of Grebe in habitat.Loved the low angle pose with raised foot .Very nice feel of natural habitat .

christopher galeski
05-23-2012, 03:10 AM
very nice image,great pose,I like the water drop under its beak,nice low shot,well done.

Jonathan Ashton
05-23-2012, 04:25 AM
Thanks for the feedback, I understand your reservations over the whites, I did check them, they are bright but I ensured the file was not blown and I have checked the jpeg is not blown. I will have another look, I agree if I tame them a little more they will look better.
Yes I have reprocessed and done a linear burn and also tried a dodge as an alternative and there is little difference. I think the problem is two fold: the feathers are damp and the angle of the light is such that it is reflected off the feathers and thus obscures detail.

Randy Stout
05-23-2012, 06:55 AM
Jonathan:

I love the crest here, quite special in this pose. Curved pose, low shooting angle, activity captured, all good.
For personal taste, I would burn in the OOF foreground a bit to tone down the brightest areas, and help focus our attention on the subject.

Look forward to more!

Cheers

Randy

Stu Bowie
05-23-2012, 09:50 AM
Hi Jon, great perspective, and certainly an interesting pose with the curved neck and body, together with the raised foot. As presented now, the whites are fine but I can see the area that was of concern. The nest is not too busy, and I like the inclusion of the green in the water. Good luck on your venture tomorrow. :w3

Gerald Kelberg
05-23-2012, 09:59 AM
Nice behavioral shot, Jon! Good of them to nest in such an open area, for you!

Like the raised foot and the arching body and neck. I am sure you will get a lot of fun from this nest.

Looking forward to many more!

Gerald

rajojomanik
05-24-2012, 08:58 AM
Interesting pose indeed with excellent IQ.

I too have been following a pair of Red-necked Grebes in our local harbour. Ever spring they try to nest in this area but the waves from the boats and predators are keeping the eggs from hatching the last few years.