PDA

View Full Version : Leechwe males

Andreas Liedmann
05-22-2012, 02:35 PM

Leechwe photographed in Namibia in Babwata NP .These ones were quite tame,compared to the others i have seen so far.Location is Nambwa area.
Hope you like it.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
Ef 500 IS L
Beanbag
F 4 / 1/200sec / ISO 2500

Processed in Canon DPP + CS6 tryout NR on BG / Capture sharpening /levels / curves (LUM MASK)/LCE /VIbrance/web sharpening

C&C most welcome
Cheers Andreas

Vivaldo Damilano
05-22-2012, 03:02 PM
Image pops really nicely Andreas, like their poses and sharpness. Blured FG distracts a bit IMO.

Steve Kaluski
05-22-2012, 03:11 PM
Hi Andreas, if you have done this in layers, can you turn the LCE layer off and RP please, I just wonder if things are clashing with the ISO. Probably wrong, but would be interested to see the result if that's OK.

cheers
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
05-22-2012, 03:19 PM

Hi Steve here is the other version with another setting of LCE.I was trying how far i could go without coming out too crunchy.At the same time i was looking on another screen how my and other images look on a for example IMAC.Because i look on 27" EIZO PROOF Monitor. makes a big difference.

Thanks Vivaldo for comment.

Cheers Andreas

Andreas Liedmann
05-22-2012, 03:20 PM
Maybe a bit in between would be the solution here, IMO.WDYT?

Steve Kaluski
05-22-2012, 03:43 PM
I was trying how far i could go without coming out too crunchy

I think you and I are thinking a lot on similar lines, this is why I asked to RP. :w3 Personally I would go with the RP with just adding some USM to avoid the 'crunchy' look, IMHO.

Because i look on 27" EIZO PROOF Monitor. makes a big difference.

It's the way to go.

Andreas Liedmann
05-22-2012, 03:49 PM
Hey Steve
what about the rest of the content,it is not only detail and overdone sharpness. I am missing some more (LOL)

Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
05-22-2012, 03:56 PM
I will revisit tomorrow, patience Andreas, I just wanted the first thought out the way. :bg3:

Sid Garige
05-22-2012, 03:59 PM
I think you and I are thinking a lot on similar lines, this is why I asked to RP. :w3 Personally I would go with the RP with just adding some USM to avoid the 'crunchy' look, IMHO.
It's the way to go.

Original post looks just a bit over sharp. I agree with Steve. May be adding bit of USM to repost will do the trick.
color tones look great. OOF foreground shows presence but action makes it me. Very nice image.

Harshad Barve
05-22-2012, 09:07 PM
WDYT about this ?

excellent image
TFS

Ken Watkins
05-22-2012, 10:50 PM
Andreas,

I have no real idea what all of this "technical"jargon is all about, but OP does look a little oversharp in my opinion. Did you use in camera sharpening?

Otherwise great pose and if original IQ allows I would certainly try Harshad's crop.

Rachel Hollander
05-23-2012, 06:17 AM
Hi Andreas - The pose is great and so are the colors. I do agree with Vivaldo that I wish the oof foliage in the fg wasn't there or was lower. The vertical comp is a good alternative and I am sure you will tweak the sharpness to the right level.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
05-23-2012, 09:03 AM
Hi Andreas, I do like the composition, partly down to the almost symmetrical look, but also the slight twist of the sparring heads. However, because it's almost symmetrical the clump of OOF greenery over the left front leg does bug me :S3: but then some simple 'gardening' can reduce that, if you were inclined :w3. I do like the low POV, but if you go lower then you would have even more OOF mush, and it would be covering even more of the heads so 'perhaps' a slightly higher elevation, not much may have given a cleaner view, but then you would not have the eye level contact as much, a balancing game I think.

So, a slight reduction in the clump of vegetation and some simple USM applied and I think you will be there IMHO Andreas, hope that helps. BTW I think Harshad's suggestion is also worth pursuing too.

Cheers
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
05-23-2012, 11:48 AM
Hello Guys,
thank you for your comments.Like it a lot.
Harshad i like your point for going vertical ,and it is possible because the OP is FF.
Steve -- i like your tips special the gardening one:bugeyed:.To be serious the point of different angle was not possible,shot from car window.

Ken --- i never use in camera sharpening (RAW).To understand what i have done in PP (roughly) read again the OP.The crunchy look came from the misuse of LOCAL CONRAST ENHANCEMENT.For the RP i used a different setting.So if there are more questions send me a PM.

Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
05-23-2012, 02:03 PM
To be serious the point of different angle was not possible,shot from car window.

I fully appreciate that Andreas, but there are ways to maximise shooting from the car. :w3

Ken Watkins
05-23-2012, 11:02 PM
Andreas,

Thanks for your explanation, I obviously misunderstood your expression "capture sharpening".
I agree entirely with you regarding the difficulties of shooting from a car, an open game viewing vehicle is an entirely different matter. That is why I have put a pop up roof into my Toyota Prado, even so freedom of movement is restricted.

Ken Watkins
05-24-2012, 01:32 AM
but there are ways to maximise shooting from the car. :w3

Steve ,

Could you please elaborate on this comment so that all of us self-drivers can benefit?