Metering: Multi-segment
Exp comp: -1/3
ISO: 200
White balance: Auto
Flash: Auto
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: High
Contrast: Normal

Do the technicals and composition look OK on this? I chose vertical because the perch position seemed to look better vertical than horizontal.

Alfred Forns
01-05-2008, 08:39 AM
Tech and comp look fine to me Might have used a lower shutter speed so you would not go into HS sync Looking at distance settings would let you know if light would be getting to the bird

I would back down from the usm and try having the light more to the left Looks like it was more to the right

Al Lemieux
01-05-2008, 09:08 AM
If the D70 has a normal synch speed of 1/500 instead of 1/250 does that affect the flash output? I can't find info on that in the camera manual or the flash manual. I shoot barrel races indoors at a distance of 30 to 35 feet at 1/500 and don't seem to have light falloff.

Alfred Forns
01-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Did not know the D70 sync speed was 500 That is great .... and with a BB you would be getting 2 1/4 more stops of light !!!

To check if you have enough Focus on the subject then read the actual distance on the lens Look at the flash and it will tell you the reach

btw remember to send me your name so I can update the profile We are tying to have all full names Thanks

Would love to see on your race images in Family and Friends !!!!

George DeCamp
01-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Al is right on, the techs look pretty good to me. I think he usm setting you used is hurting this a bit. I think everything else looks pretty good here. Of course the side light did not help you but sometimes that can't be helped either. Better if it were over your shoulder like Artie always says.

Christof Ruch
01-06-2008, 06:23 AM
Hi Al!

Regarding the flash output: the D70 has an electronic shutter additionally to the mechanical one, and can sync to nearly any speed without having to use the HS sync "multiple flashes" workaround reducing flash output as all other - even the pro - bodies have to do. Per Firmware, Nikon limits the use of this to 1/500s, because you might run into problems depending how you trigger the flashes, but if the camera doesn't know it's firing a flash (e.g. PC sync cord) it even syncs to 1/2000s and beyond.

For technical stuff like this I highly recommend the forums at Nikonians.org, they're just great over there and have all the information.

And hey - lovely image! Looks near perfect for me, the only thing I'd suggest was - as was said before - to use less sharpening.

Cheers,
Christof

Christof Ruch
01-06-2008, 06:27 AM
Oh, and one more question: Which lens are you using on your D70? I'm looking for an upgrade over my 300mm/f4, that will not blow my budget like the super-teles from Nikon do...

Christof

Al Lemieux
01-06-2008, 09:41 AM
I use the Sigma 50- 500mm and like it pretty well. Especially the price.