PDA

View Full Version : Scene from the Dunes

Vivaldo Damilano
05-22-2012, 11:30 AM
D3s 24-70 f2.8 1/60 at F20. I used a two stop GND filter.

Valerio Tarone
05-23-2012, 01:27 PM
Vivaldo I like the shot, well balanced with converging clouds in the sky. A small suggestion could be to crop a bit of the lowest part because has few interest.
Is it aroud sossuslvei?

Joe Senzatimore
05-23-2012, 02:28 PM
Wouldn't change a thig. Love the comp and the beautiful sky. Great use of the ND filter.

Jay Gould
05-23-2012, 03:19 PM
Perfect, and beautiful too!

Rachel Hollander
05-23-2012, 09:08 PM
Vivaldo - very well done. I like it as is, nice rich colors and comp works well. Only nit and it is a very minor one, I wish the one tall grass stalk on the lhs did not extend to and above the mountains in the distance.

TFS,
Rachel

Vivaldo Damilano
05-24-2012, 01:52 AM
Thanks for comments. Hi Valario, just got back from Cuneo last week. The next time I visit, would love to do some landscape photography in the alps, it's is such a beautiful area. This image was taken in the Namib-Rand Ciao Vivaldo.

Rachel Hollander
05-24-2012, 07:19 AM
Sorry Vivaldo, I meant the stalk on the rhs. :e3

Vivaldo Damilano
05-24-2012, 10:24 AM
Thanks Rachel, should have clone it out, easy to do :e3

Valerio Tarone
05-24-2012, 11:33 AM
Vivaldo Yes, you can. As I wrote to you in my countryhome, cuneo pr., there'a lot of room. Different in Turin: my mother is 90 y.old. And..I know the best places, some are the Piedmont's Dolomites!

Vivaldo Damilano
05-24-2012, 01:53 PM
Thanks very much Valerio. I am sure it will be a long while before I get back to Cuneo. I have climbed in some of the valleys near Cuneo but don't know Turin that well. This last trip was to short and didn't have any time for photography unfortunately.

Morkel Erasmus
05-24-2012, 02:53 PM
A very nice composition here Vivaldo, with great use of vibrant colours and an interesting sky to complement the varying landscape of dunes, grassland, trees and mountains so typical of the NamibRand. :bg3:

I felt it lacked some midtone contrast and some overall "punch"....so here's a repost with the following applied:

1. lifted midtones using levels by about 10 points (midtone point moved to position 1.1 on the slider)
2. midtone contrast action by Hougaard Malan (see my sticky at the top of the Landscape forum) - set contrast layer to 20%, darkening layer to 10%, and lightening layer to 30%
3. some selective dodging and burning on the dunes and midground, some burning of shadows in the clouds
4. small round of sharpening

WDYT?? :t3

Andreas Liedmann
05-24-2012, 03:01 PM
Hi Vivaldo,
very nice image with vibrant colors,very interesting cloud formation and good composition.
Morkel `s RP just pushed it into the right direction.Very good Morkel!!! Like it a lot.
Cheers Andreas

Vivaldo Damilano
05-25-2012, 01:28 AM
Thanks Morkel and Andreas. Morkel I like your repost, my one is slightly to dark compared to yours. I had already done some doging and burning on forground. I though it was a bit overdone when posting:bg3: Will have to be a bit more aggressive when using these tools:5

Valerio Tarone
05-25-2012, 01:54 PM
Vivaldo, sorry but I didn't understand well, in the recent weeks we had a lot of rain! another time let me know.

Andrew Aveley
05-26-2012, 09:42 AM
Vivaldo , great lines and use of th efilter. Morkel has added some to this image with the repost. I am a little distracted by the grass on the rhs here and maybe a slight movement to left and forward may have just added a little more to the "open" feeling here :)

Don Lacy
05-26-2012, 12:52 PM
Love the clouds and leading lines Morkel repost really made the image pop.

Morkel Erasmus
05-27-2012, 02:00 AM
Vivaldo , great lines and use of th efilter. Morkel has added some to this image with the repost. I am a little distracted by the grass on the rhs here and maybe a slight movement to left and forward may have just added a little more to the "open" feeling here :)

I knew something about the comp was bugging me...thanks Andrew...in a lesser way the grass on the RHS, but also that one long blade just off the RHS edge that extends 'over' the mountains. :c3:

Vivaldo Damilano
05-28-2012, 09:38 AM
Thanks again all for comments and suggestions. I managed to take out small blade of grass with content-aware in PS. Valerio will let you know thanks, maybe we can do some climing and photography next time I visit Cuneo.

Morkel Erasmus
06-21-2012, 03:23 AM
nice repost Vivaldo...might put back some more midtone contrast though, a tad flat now...