PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts.....

Russell Johnson
05-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Long time no post....

Unfortunately work has me travelling all over, so I have barely been able to touch my Kenya (March) or Botswana (November) - let along log into the forum!

Managed to steal 5 minutes today to work on a couple of cheetah images I like, though undecided on this shot.... C&C most welcome.

1D Mark IV
70-200 @ 73mm
1/2000 @ F4
ISO320

Taken in the OKavango Delta, Botswana.

Andreas Liedmann
05-21-2012, 04:47 PM
Hi Russel,
like this one ,shallow DOF,colors, contrast,comp,the expression of the cat.Unsual kind of portrait for Cheetah ,but works very well!!!!.Would like to have that kind of image.Is that taken with a remote camera or something similar???

Cheers Andreas

Harshad Barve
05-21-2012, 09:39 PM
This works for me Russell , VWD
TFS

Ken Watkins
05-21-2012, 11:15 PM
Russell,

On first view this looks a little odd, the perspective seems to make the head look very small.
Also the fur looks a little too dark, an interesting shot nevertheless.

Steve Kaluski
05-22-2012, 04:12 AM
Hi Russell, yet again, another cracking POV, is it the same Cheetah as previous posts?

The pose certainly for me, conveys that 'stalking' mode, no issue about the cropped leg, it's the captivating stare that pulls me in. I wondered compared with previous postings if this one needs just a hint more in vibrancy, just to up the density and dropping perhaps some of the contrast on the face, especially in the eyes? There is detail in the corner of the eye in the darker, shadow areas so I might also look at pulling some of that out, just to give a bit more form, likewise the black part of the nose. You could perhaps also tone done some of the brighter grass stalks in the FG, no deal breaker and depending on you POV, lose the whitish area just under the throat, easy to do. :w3 Personally I would just crop a fraction off the RHS, just feel there is a hint too much space, WDYT?

Hope to see you back soon, (work permitting) and again participating in posting and commenting, look forward to more.

TFS
Steve :wave:

Russell Johnson
05-22-2012, 07:18 AM
Hi Russel,
like this one ,shallow DOF,colors, contrast,comp,the expression of the cat.Unsual kind of portrait for Cheetah ,but works very well!!!!.Would like to have that kind of image.Is that taken with a remote camera or something similar???

Cheers Andreas

Thanks, Andreas.

No remote shutters etc. I like to get out the vehicle and shoot ground level on safari, and these guys were more than curious/accommodating.

Russell Johnson
05-22-2012, 07:25 AM
Hi Russell, yet again, another cracking POV, is it the same Cheetah as previous posts?

The pose certainly for me, conveys that 'stalking' mode, no issue about the cropped leg, it's the captivating stare that pulls me in. I wondered compared with previous postings if this one needs just a hint more in vibrancy, just to up the density and dropping perhaps some of the contrast on the face, especially in the eyes? There is detail in the corner of the eye in the darker, shadow areas so I might also look at pulling some of that out, just to give a bit more form, likewise the black part of the nose. You could perhaps also tone done some of the brighter grass stalks in the FG, no deal breaker and depending on you POV, lose the whitish area just under the throat, easy to do. :w3 Personally I would just crop a fraction off the RHS, just feel there is a hint too much space, WDYT?

Hope to see you back soon, (work permitting) and again participating in posting and commenting, look forward to more.

TFS
Steve :wave:

Thanks, Steve. Will revisit this evening and repost.

It is one of the same three cheetah. I have around 15-20 good images that I should really get working on. I have got rid of 90% of my kit, so have no excuse not to concentrate on editing :)

Russell Johnson
05-22-2012, 01:02 PM
Here is a quick repost. I have kept the comp, though working with the RAW file again, I will probably shift everything more to the right of the frame.

Vivaldo Damilano
05-22-2012, 02:55 PM
Brilliant Russell, low angle really make a difference.

Morkel Erasmus
05-25-2012, 05:13 AM
Love those eyes, Russel!
You received some good suggestion to date (sorry for not jumping on here earlier).
My first thoughts were that it looks underexposed in many parts and some fine detail was "closed up".
POV is excellent.

I have got rid of 90% of my kit, so have no excuse not to concentrate on editing :)

May I ask why??? :eek3: