PDA

View Full Version : Experiment

OvidiuCavasdan
05-21-2012, 11:37 AM
40D, EF 100mm F2.8 macro, F2.8, 1/125 sec. ISO 400.
Blue spruce twig
Played around with the focusing ring in manual focus mode until got this.
PP: curves, levels adjustement.

Dennis Bishop
05-21-2012, 04:43 PM
The colors work together, and I like the radial lines. However, when my eye goes to the center of the lines, I'd rather see something a bit more coherent. Out of focus is fine, but something about this didn't quite work for me. There's a nice reduction in focus toward the center of the lines, so I decided to try blurring the twig even more to make it seem even less in focus.

I made an elliptical selection on a duplicate layer, did a substantial lens blur on the selection, feathered the edges (both with refine selection and with a soft, low opacity brush after adding a mask), then, I reduced the opacity of the layer quite a bit.

Dave Woeller
05-21-2012, 06:03 PM
I like the radial lines in this also. I think the repost by Dennis has a better feel to it and I thank him for ther detailed explanation. It seems as though the repost is also just a touch lighter, which I feel also adds. Nice work on both parts.

Cheryl Slechta
05-21-2012, 09:07 PM
Ovidiu - I like the idea of the radiating lines and I originally liked the stronger lines at the bottom of the image but I think because of the softness of the center and upper half I would prefer it cropped from the bottom to the bottom of the soft center. I could even see the center resting on the bottom edge. It seems to make more sense that way to me. Nice OOTB thinking:S3:

John Storjohann
05-22-2012, 06:26 AM
Ovidiu, I like the radial lines leading into the image, but then my eye becomes somewhat lost...like Dennis, I find myself wanting something more coherent. The subtle color, the overall composition and the soft, almost etheral quality of the lines are wonderful...to my eye, it just needs something for me to finally "rest" on for a moment as an anchor point. I hope to see more from you.

denise ippolito
05-22-2012, 06:45 AM
Ovidiu, Beautiful colors and lines, I agree regarding the center. All good suggestions above.