PDA

View Full Version : Distant Storms

Don Lacy
05-20-2012, 11:31 PM
I had a friend come up to shoot with me at my new favorite beach just five minutes from my house :bg3: When we got to the beach we could see lighting out in the Atlantic Ocean and the thunder heads added some nice dramatic elements to the sky as twilight turned into day.

1D MKIII, 17-40 f/4 at 17mm, 15s at f/16 (I am really liking the effect of dragging the shutter on my ocean images), Manual Mode, Evaluative Metered, ISO 100, Raw, warming polarizer and 2 stop hard edge Grad

Joe Senzatimore
05-21-2012, 08:50 AM
Very dramatic with great light and technique. Works well here.

Vivaldo Damilano
05-21-2012, 01:04 PM
I like the rich sky colors, clouds and forground rock. Tech's worked nicely, love the smooth blured water.

Rachel Hollander
05-21-2012, 06:30 PM
Don - nice colors and smooth water. I like the rocks as a leading line too.

TFS,
Rachel

Brendan Dozier
05-22-2012, 05:14 PM
Real nice composition, Don. Love the light, lines, water smoothness and how the touch of blue in rocks compliments orange in sky.

Morkel Erasmus
05-24-2012, 04:56 PM
You rocked this one, Don! Love the jagged rocks upfront, juxtaposed with the glass-like water surface, and the colours on the horizon add some nice "oomph" :5
You had some great dynamic range to work with here, so I hope you'll allow me this B&W experiment :w3
WDYT?? Both have merits IMHO...:c3:

Don Lacy
05-24-2012, 11:32 PM
Make a wonderful B&W Morkel thanks for taking the time to do it do you mind telling me how you processed it was it PS or Niks Silver

Morkel Erasmus
05-25-2012, 04:12 AM
Make a wonderful B&W Morkel thanks for taking the time to do it do you mind telling me how you processed it was it PS or Niks Silver Thanks Don, glad you liked it. I used PS B&W conversion, tweaking the red and yellow channels to the right to get the lighter tones in the sky and water, tweaking blue and cyan channels to the left to get darker tones in the rocks and clouds. Then used selective dodging and burning - burned the clouds some (shadows, 5%), dodged rocks (midtones, 5%) and added some midtone contrast overall.

Don Lacy
05-25-2012, 09:51 AM
Thanks Don, glad you liked it. I used PS B&W conversion, tweaking the red and yellow channels to the right to get the lighter tones in the sky and water, tweaking blue and cyan channels to the left to get darker tones in the rocks and clouds. Then used selective dodging and burning - burned the clouds some (shadows, 5%), dodged rocks (midtones, 5%) and added some midtone contrast overall.
Thanks will have to play around with it

Andrew Aveley
05-26-2012, 09:47 AM
Quality image as is. BW is a nice idea but this is a great composition , exposure and technically cool image

TFS