PDA

View Full Version : A coot, a rock, some "ideas" about composition

Jack Breakfast
05-20-2012, 07:54 PM
Greetings folks
Here is a coot I recently spent some good time with. He (she?) was a more than forthcoming subject and I happily took my time and tried many different combinations of "ideas" and "things" and "angles" as the light changed. I lay down, I sat down, I got back up again, i walked around the bridge I was on, the coot was boring but beautiful. Once in a while the bird would go a little bit crazy but mostly he just sat there. Here is one idea. Taken with the Canon 7D and 70-300L at 244mm, iso400, 1/500, f8. I did a little bit of water cleanup, it's really true! I added a little bit of canvas on the bottom; no jokes! Anyhow, I'll welcome your thoughts and opinions...

Jim Fenton
05-20-2012, 08:43 PM
The rock is a log :)

I like it but this one to me really needed a lower angle however, this would have negated the ability to see the log under the water.

I guess I would have liked it lower, cropped tighter on the left with more room on the right.

Do really like the warm light on the birds chest.

Jack Breakfast
05-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Hi Jim, I certainly have some low-angle shots but none that show the reflections like this...the rock sure is a log, you're quite right...a rock-like log! Thanks for writing in.

Doug West
05-20-2012, 11:22 PM
Jack...I love the angle. When it comes to shooting reflections, I'm usually higher like yours so
I don't lose the impression of the reflection.

The only thing that bugs me is the upper left hand corner...maybe make that blue to match
the rest of the water?

Doug

Jack Breakfast
05-20-2012, 11:51 PM
Yes, Doug, it's always a battle...one pet peeve for me is the low-angle photo with the partial reflection. That said, the low-angle blurs are quite splendid, sometimes, but I certainly don't make a religion out of low-angle waterbird photography. Perhaps I should? Would it be successful, like Buddhism? One never knows. Thanks for your comments. I like the upper left myself, but I can see the appeal of uniformity as well.

christopher galeski
05-21-2012, 03:12 AM
nice one Jack,it works for me,agree with Doug about the upper left hand corner.

Daniel Cadieux
05-21-2012, 09:29 AM
I don't mind the higher perspective for reflection images. This would have been nice as a vertical, but I am glad you took the time to experiment and try different things with the cooperative fella...that's what it is all about! Processing looks good too as there is no hint of removed objects.

Jack Breakfast
05-21-2012, 09:41 AM
Daniel, many thanks. I had lots of fun with this guy in the changing light...my only criticism is that he never lived up to the simile's cliché...this fellow was sane and reserved and quite dull indeed...

Andrew Merwin
05-21-2012, 12:42 PM
I too am ok with the ULC. What I really like about this image is the visible foot on the log. Coot feet seem unique to me so it is neat to see it.